1 9

Chapter 19: Alex et Avery

  "Maman, Papa. J'suis lesbienne."

The noise made by cutlery on plates ceased, causing Avery to cringe. The Christmas music in the background seemed almost haunting as it played quietly but was easily heard through the pin-drop silence. What did she expect, coming out during Christmas dinner?

Alex cleared her throat and wiped her mouth with a napkin, trying to cut through the awkwardness in the room.

"Pardon?" Mr Toussaint spoke up. Mrs Toussaint kept quiet and stared at her plate. This wasn't news for her, but her daughter's timing was definitely unexpected.

"Et," Avery stumbled but continued, "Alex n'est pas seulement mon amie. She's my girlfriend." {And Alex is not just my friend}

  The brunette didn't know if she should say something or do something at this moment in time, but she knew she had to support her girlfriend. She placed her napkin on the table after some hesitation and stood alongside the freckled girl, holding her hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"C'est genial, Doux-Doux. Can we all just sit down and eat now?" Mrs Toussaint chimed in. {That's great, sweetie}

"That's it?" Avery asked warily. She turned her head to look at her father who still seemed speechless, his eyes trained on the girls' entwined hands.

He seemed to get over his apparent shock as he shook his head before he spoke. "You are happy?" he asked, his thick accent coming through.

Avery looked up at the tall, brunette that stood next to her and felt her heart light up like their Christmas tree. She nodded fervently, not moving her gaze, "Very."

"Then I am happy."

The freckled girl turned her head and smiled warmly at her father, who just as quickly returned the expression. With that, she went back to her seat and dug into her half-finished meal, she and Alex still holding hands underneath the table.

The brunette leaned over to her and whispered, "You did it, baby. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you for being here," Avery whispered back, before giving her girlfriend a peck on the lips. Milo yipped when he looked up from his food bowl, tilting his head in confusion at the girls' connected mouths.

The brunette rolled her eyes after they parted, "Why does he always do that every time we kiss? Have you realized that? Because I know I'm not crazy. Your dog has a lesbian fetish."

"He's my therapy dog, he has to watch me to make sure I'm okay. He probably senses my heart rate increase or something like that."

"Dogs do not have supersonic hearing."

"Maybe not, but they have really good hearing."

"Well, he should be used to me kissing you by now," Alex playfully folded her arms.

"Just let him watch, what's the worst that could happen?" Avery defended Milo.

"It's creepy!"

The Toussaints watched the young couple bicker with smiles on their faces, occasionally sharing a glance. They were probably thinking about the same thing. The spark in their daughter's eyes that was never there before they had met Alex.

"Now, now girls. If you want dessert, you'll have to finish your dinner first," Mrs Toussaint spoke to the 18-year-old young women as if they were children. Avery dug in without hesitation after hearing her mother's words.

Alex let out a laugh when the freckled girl finally came up for breath. There was gravy smeared across her mouth from how quickly she attempted to eat her roast beef. The girl's eyebrows came together in confusion and her bottom lip jutted out. "What?" she asked.

The brunette only shook her head and handed her a napkin.

"Nothing. You look so cute when you're confused."