|14|

Torint

I cannot stop pacing. My brain is frying with the constant worry. Fear is all I know. Posy's sickness is all I know. It has taken over my life in the short time since it's started.

It's been days, and she is still the same. I bring her food and water, herd teas, and medicines, and she is not better. Posy is not worried though, she tries to convince me everyday that she is alright, and that it's ok. I do not believe her.

Pausing, I open her door to peek in at my mate. She is sound asleep. Good. She tells me she needs her rest to get better. I hold out hope that it will help her get well miraculously. I am waiting for a miracle.

I close the door softly, trying to get ahold of my brain. I am terrified. I don't want her to die. My heart stutters in my chest at the idea and tears prick my eyes.

I do not cry, ever. But my mate being sick makes me emotional. I can't help feeling that it is my fault. I did not take care of Posy well enough as a mate should.

How am I supposed to know what I did wrong when I'm not sure how to take care of a female in the first place?

On Rytaria we were taught about females, in detail, but never how a mate should care for his female. I am going on natural instinct alone.

What if I missed something? What if there was something I was supposed to do and did not? Would Posy pay the price?

I groan, trying to hold back my tears and failing. I cannot lose her, I love her. She is my world.

The realization is enough to make me freeze in terror. I would not be the same if something were to happen to my little human female. She is so delicate. It may not have been wise to have become so attached to one so defenseless, but I could not help it. It was meant to be.

A sound draws my attention. I wipe my shameful tears from my face and listen closer, pressing my ear against the door.

"Torint?" It is my mate. She needs me. But can I be enough to help her? I swallow the lump in my throat and enter the room carefully.

I'm greeted with a smile, bright and happy. Posy isn't as red anymore, her cheeks aren't flushed and moist. I raise my eyebrows at the sight. Is she better? Is such a miracle really possible?

"I think my fever broke." She tells me, showing her white teeth. "I still feel a little nasty, but I'd say I'll be up and about by tomorrow. Nothing a night's rest won't fix."

I go to her, sitting on her bedside and pulling her into my arms frantically. I hold back a sob. She will be alright. She will really be alright after all.

My true relief is hard to fathom. It is a strong emotion of elation. I am truly blessed this day. I have been sick with worry, and the rush of joy I feel is astounding.

Having Posy safe in my arms, healed and well with hope for the future, is more than I could ask for.

This mess has put many things into perspective.

When I lean back, I am shocked when something warm touches my lips. My eyes widen to see Posy so close, her lips are on mine!

Once I get over the shock of the sensation, I notice that my mate's lips are moving against mine and I begin to move as well. Her eyes are closed, so I close my eyes too. It feels amazing and strange.

I know this is not how you mate, but it seems like it has something to do with it. I have never learned about the touching of lips. I do not know how I was not told about this.

It seems important, it is important.

We do this for what seems to be a long time, but it also feels fleeting. It's over way too soon and I'm left breathless. Posy stares up at me as she also tries to catch her breath. Her beautiful eyes stare up at me with amazement.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have given you a kiss. I'm still a little sick. I hope you don't catch anything." She murmurs, pink tinging her cheeks, but I do not think it has anything to do with her sickness.

I do not tell her I have a strong immune system, I just lean forward and pull her to me. I push my lips against hers again and demand we do whatever that was again. My mate called it a kiss. That is something I love very much.

A kiss. It is the best thing I have felt other than love for my mate.

When our stronger kiss is finished, Posy is grinning from ear to ear and I'm sure her expression mirrors my own.

She nestles down into her bed, her light hair fanning out across the pillows. A dreamy look fills her eyes and she sighs with a sleepy moan.

"Get some sleep, Torint. You need some rest, honey." She tells me, closing her eyes. I agree with her, it has been days since I have slept, and dark circles have started to form under my eyes.

But I haven't been able to even lay down to even attempt to sleep. Now that I know that my mate is safe, that she will not die while I slumber, I can rest easy.

And then there are our kisses. Remembering those is enough to comfort me into peace and contentment. Maybe I will sleep well after all.

     Love this story, and I'm so glad y'all do too! Don't know when I'll be able to update again

     Love this story, and I'm so glad y'all do too! Don't know when I'll be able to update again. I am having a rough time right now because I'm going through something. Hopefully I will be able to write, but it's hard right now.

     Sorry if it takes a while, but I will try my best.

      Even though this story doesn't get a ton of reads, the amount of love and support is insane! My Exit Only readers are my most loving readers and I appreciate and love you! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️