Chapter Eight- Past

Past

Victoria

"Hi, Maya."

"Hey Vicky, what's going on?" Maya's chirpy voice filled the other side of the phone.

Maya was Tyler's thirteen-year-old sister who was a bright student in school and enjoyed playing Volleyball. Like the rest of the Lockharts' Maya was also tall, with dark hair and expressive brown eyes, she had gotten her looks from their mother, save for the jawline which was a distinct feature similar to that of their father. You could look at the two siblings and tell that they were related. For a teen, Maya was really sweet, and often acted as a mediator between Tyler and me. She was one of the prettiest girls in school; I'd never seen Maya wear an outfit twice. There were rumors that her clothes were custom-made and imported from Italy. Even with all the wealth, I'd never seen her act like a snob; in fact she was more down to earth than any teenager I knew in Cold-Bay.

I liked Maya a lot.

"How's your studying going?" I asked, unable to come directly to the point.

"It's going okay." She responded.

"Did you have dinner?"

Kill me now!

I heard her giggle on the other end, "Yes, I did. You called to ask about Tyler, didn't you?" she asked point-blank.

"Um...yeah, actually I did. Is he home?"

"Yeah, he's in his room."

"Did you notice something?"

"Like what?" I imagined her sprawled on her large comfy bed, balancing the phone in one hand and flipping through a magazine with the other.

"His behavior," I said, not wanting to spill about the fight we had earlier that afternoon.

"Now that you mention it, he did sound a little grumpy when he came home." She confessed. "Skipped dinner too."

"What?"

"He didn't come downstairs for dinner tonight but we thought maybe he ate something with his friends. The maid kept a plate filled with food outside his door because he tells everyone to keep it there, and then I noticed some food missing from the plate so I thought he ate a little, but later when I went to the gaming room upstairs, I saw Diablo having a party with Tyler's food." Maya rambled on.

There were two types of teenagers, one that was going through a rebellious phase, they hated you, the world, the universe, and then there were others like Maya who were comfortable carrying on conversations and spilling information that was usually not allowed to be out in the open.

It made me anxious that Tyler hadn't eaten dinner. Why hadn't he eaten? Was it because of the fight he had with me? Did Harper visit him for the assignment? He'd said he'd let her do whatever she wanted with him.

"Maya, did Harper come over?" I inquired hesitantly.

If she said yes...

"Harper Woodly?" I could hear the disgust in her voice loud and clear.

"Yeah."

"Oh no, she didn't. If she was here, Tyler would have called the pest control."

I couldn't hold back a burst of laughter which was quite evil of me. "What? Why?"

"Duh because he hates her."

He hated Queen Harper?

"How do you figure that?"