xviii. the winning game

chapter eighteen
the winning game

✧ 

 ELEVEN HOPPER was a girl who didn't let her past define her. Despite living locked away and used as a lab rat, the girl with the name of a number was the most loyal and yellow person you'd ever meet. Eleven, who preferred to be called 'El,' was bouncing in her seat from excitement.

 It was early in the morning, 7:15, to be exact, but she didn't care. Her heart was warm as she bit her lower lip, looking out the car window to see the already risen sun. Summer break had recently started, meaning her friends were no longer in school, meaning she didn't have to wait until it was later in the day to visit them.

 El had to contain an excited squeal when she spotted the Byers' house.

 Jim Hopper yawned from beside her, sipping on the cup of coffee he had bought. He had called the day off so he could sleep in before they had to visit the Byers. Those were his plans. But clearly, Eleven had other ideas when she woke him up at 6:30 in the morning, exclaiming at they were going to be late if they didn't leave soon.

 El beamed when Hopper stopped the car before the small house, and she didn't let him get the chance to turn the vehicle off before she pulled off her seatbelt and jumped out.

 There was a skip to her step as she walked up the familiar porch knocking on the door. She was there to see the other girl who also did let her past define her. El wondered what Rue Newby would teach her that morning.

 She hoped she would tell her why people had plants in their homes. Or Math. Eleven loved math the moment she's discovered it. All the numbers and symbols. It was challenging yet fun. Eleven learnt that she'd love a challenge. Rue Newby thought she was insane for liking such a subject. ("Out of everything. You like Math?!)