XXIV.

"so, i hope you guys are hungry," abby waltz into the room the three were in with a tray of food

"so, i hope you guys are hungry," abby waltz into the room the three were in with a tray of food. "because food has always been my go-to icebreaker."

"you have a really beautiful home." elena said, sending the woman a gentle smile. jocelyn rolled her eyes as she studied the pictures and paintings hanging in the room.

"you're so sweet, just like your mom." abby responded with her own smile. jocelyn glanced to her mother at her words. the heretic knew the story, or at least, from her perspective along with klaus'.

"you knew my mom?" elena quirked an eyebrow, shock evident on her features.

"miranda was my best friend." abby refused to meet her daughters eyes, for she didn't know how much either of the two knew.

"so you had daughters and a best friend and you still left?" bonnie was quick to question the woman.

"her best friend is the reason she left, bon." jocelyn didn't meet their eyes either, continuing to study the room. abby glanced over to her youngest daughter, feeling guilt build.

abby took a seat at the table. "about eleven years ago, a vampire came to town looking for you, elena. looking for the doppelgänger. no one could manage to kill him or take him down, until jocelyn siphoned from him until he desiccated. giving me enough time, saving me enough energy to finish the spell in charlotte."

jocelyn mumbled loud enough for the girls to hear. "i remember feeling so scared for your life. for bonnie's. for everyone's."

"jocelyn?" bonnie furrowed her eyebrows at her sisters words, turning to her mother. "she was only six years old."

"you didn't accept your powers, bonnie. your father wanted to keep you from it, but," abby began to inform the girls. "jocelyn's siphoning power has shown since she was in my womb."

"why am i the only siphoner in this fucking family?" jocelyn pressed her hands against the table. "had a witch in chicago claim she'd tell me, but almost killed me instead. i'm the only siphoner in the bennett line. why?"

abby looked away in a shameful sense, as if guilt was eating away at the woman. jocelyn slammed her hands against the table again, catching her attention. she was tired of the secrets, being in the dark for things she had the right to know.

"what are you hiding from me, mom?" jocelyn's voice broke, surprising both elena and bonnie.

"about eighteen years ago, i met a man from portland." abby whispered, almost too ashamed to speak it aloud. jocelyn pushed off the table as disbelief set in.