44

I grunt taking a bludger to the chest but managing to stay on my broom

I grunt taking a bludger to the chest but managing to stay on my broom. Draco wheeled at Greg and Vince looking thunderous. "Do your damn job!"

We were at our first training as a complete team and Cassius is proving to be an exceptional Chaser. Already he's able to adapt to my play style knowing exactly what I wanted from the quaffle. Ignoring Draco's venomous shouts towards our Beaters, I continue passing quaffles between Blaise and Cassius.

I take the lead with the two boys flanking me. Blaise flies higher with the quaffle dropping it down. I catch it easily tossing it down to Cassius who pitches it back up to Blaise.

Blaise playfully chucks the quaffle at Vince with extreme force and Cassius intercepts it before the quaffle makes it to Vince's face.

Cassius smirks at Vince playfully kicking at him. "Careful of our Princess." Despite the verbal jab of being called a Princess, I smile happily at our new Chaser. Initially, he was incredibly quiet and nervous about flying again but now he breezes through training like he was in his element.

Cassius then proceeds to hurl the quaffle back to me and I feint taking a shot at one of the hoops letting Theo dive for it. I pass the quaffle back to Blaise who aims for a different hoop and making a goal.

-

Fresh from my shower, I walk with Draco along the hallways. As prefects, it was our turn to patrol.

"My mood is incredibly nasty today." Draco mutters stretching his aching arms from training. "Detention with Filtch to whoever we catch."

"Oh, we're that nasty?" I say peering into one of the classrooms we pass by.

Draco grins lazily. "If we catch a Gryffindor it'll be with Snape."

I gasp dramatically. "Draco, you're heartless."

We continue to tease and push at each other when we're interrupted by an obnoxious cough.

"Ahem, ahem."

We turn behind us eyes narrowed knowing already who it was. I resisted the urge to put my hand up to shield my eyes from the bright pink robe she had on.

"Professor Umbridge." I greet with a forced smile.

Umbridge beams at us looking utterly pleased. "Hello, Miss Emrys and Mister Malfoy. Out on patrol?"

Draco rolls his eyes dispassionately but I nod. "Yes, Professor. Just doing our job."

"I am immensely proud of the two of you. Top of your class, Captains of the Quidditch team and now Prefects."

"We want our families proud is all." Draco says thickly clearly wanting to end the conversation.

Umbridge definitely had something else in mind because she smiles widely. "Of course, I'm quite sure the Malfoy's are proud of their son and if your grandfather were alive, Miss Emrys, he'd be swelling with pride. After all being Merlin's descendant can't be easy."

The sickly sweet of her voice really put us off but we dutifully force smiles on our faces.

"Would the two of you be so kind enough to have tea with me tomorrow after class?"

"We'd love to!" I say my face already hurting from the forced smile.

I feel Draco stiffen beside me. We did not love it at all.

-

"I cannot believe you agreed to this." Draco groans the next day his head pressed to my hair.

We were outside her atrocious pink door now. "Are you saying we should have declined?"

Draco sighs knowing well we had to play our part in this war and suck up when needed to. "We could have told her we had patrol tonight."

"Oh, I could but she cleared our schedule for us."

"She what?" Draco mutters pulling away from my hair.

I laugh moving his bangs to the side affectionately. "Yeah, she had us excused from all our duties beforehand."

Draco leans towards my touch closing his eyes. "Let's just get this over with shall we?"

-

"I know we can expect great things from you Miss Emrys, you come from a long line of greatness. Your grandfather, Kal Emrys, and his magical findings are still considered the greatest discoveries up to date."

Draco and I's mouth muscles were cramping at this point. She had just finished going on about how Draco is the picture of greatness as if he was Salazar Slytherin reincarnated.

"I hear that the two of you have an understanding already?" She muses peering at my diamond bracelet.

Draco nods finally becoming serious. "Yes, we do."

Umbridge claps her hand excitedly. "What joy! Two of the purest of bloods coming together."

I have never heard anyone say that but again we force smiles and hold hands. "We're very happy to have each other." I say genuinely looking to Draco and he smiles squeezing my hand.

Umbridge squeals in delight and continues to go on about needing people she can trust. She tells us about an Inquisitorial Squad and how she wants the two of us to lead it.

"Do I look like a teacher's pet?" Draco snaps angrily when we exit her office.

I glance towards Draco waiting to see if he was serious. "Yes, yes, you do."

Draco frowns and huffs. "As if we didn't have enough to do this year."

"We have to play our part." I remind walking towards the common room.

"I can't believe she wants us to choose our own team for this stupid squad."

I grin bumping my shoulder at Draco. "Wouldn't want your reputation to suffer, eh?"

Draco merely smirks his hands latching onto my hips and pulling us behind a tapestry. The taste of mint invades my mouth and I melt into his arms.

 The taste of mint invades my mouth and I melt into his arms