48

Cassius stood tall and stiff the night before our match with Ravenclaw

Cassius stood tall and stiff the night before our match with Ravenclaw. "I need to speak with you, Kally."

We were seated by the fireplace at our common room talking in hushed tones when Cassius approached us looking pale.

I nod my head sharing a look with Draco. He shrugs and kisses my cheek before going back to his conversation with Greg and Vince.

Daphne was busy gushing about a new fashion label from Italy with Blaise who nods along with her. Theo was as usual reading about runes.

Cassius takes me out of the common room and into the deeper parts of the dungeons.

He closes his eyes and pulls on his robes. "I can't fly tomorrow." He whispers.

"Why are you injured? I told you not to train too hard!" I reprimand in true Marcus style.

Cassius shakes his head looking desperate. "I can't fly tomorrow, Kally. I'm a coward, alright? I can't face Roger Davies. He had me fall from my broom and hospitalized at St. Mungo's for months. I don't want to disappoint you, Kally. Merlin knows I don't but I know Marcus' main objective in each game is to keep you safe and I don't think I can when I'm scared of the very thing I'm protecting you from."

My eyes soften at his words and I place a hand on his shoulder. "Cassy, first of all, you don't have to protect me. I know what Marcus told you and I love him for it but at least for the Ravenclaw game, you won't need to."

He sighs. "I still can't face him."

"I understand. You don't need to explain Cassy and you definitely don't have to play tomorrow if you don't want to."

Cassius eyes widen. "What?"

I smile. "I won't force you to play."

He pauses. "You think I should."

"As your Captain, I only want what's best for you. If you think you can't fly then I respect that but as your friend, I'm at liberty to tell you that it's Roger Davies' last year in Hogwarts and it'll be your last chance to face him."

Cassius bites at his lower lip. "If I fall again, would you break the rules and punch him in the face?"

"If you fall, I would happily be banned from Quidditch if that means I get Roger Davies in St. Mungo's for a few months." I grin offering my fist and Cassius eyes it before smiling nervously and hitting his fist against mine.

-

I meet Roger Davies at the center of the pitch and he frowns offering his hand for me to shake. True to the Slytherin tradition and fueled by my anger for Cassius, I reach for his hand and crush it.

He groans pulling away. "I see Warrington hasn't ran to his daddy yet."

"What ever for, Davies? We haven't killed you yet." I say with a sickly sweet smile that Umbridge would be jealous of.