50

The smell of burnt blood will forever be embedded in my brain

The smell of burnt blood will forever be embedded in my brain. I stand beside Narcissa Malfoy as the Dark Lord burned his mark on Draco's forearm.

Every important Death Eater is present. I don't even know what I was doing here. Draco definitely didn't want me here but the Dark Lord insisted that the 'lovely' descendant of Merlin should be present or so Narcissa tells me.

To give credit to Draco, he did not cry out or flinch in pain but I know he wanted to. I could see it in the desperation in his eyes.

I wanted to cry with him.

The summer started off with my Godfather sending me off to Ireland the moment the Hogwarts Express arrived at King's Cross. With the entire Wizarding World knowing the return of Voldemort, he didn't want me anywhere near London. Draco and I resumed our usual schedule of me training to replace Moran and Draco coming to visit after. He always looked battered and bruised when he came for visits.

I've learned to prepare healing potions for him whenever he comes to visit.

Draco's training with the Death Eaters we're getting harder to the point that Draco didn't even want to talk about the details.

When he survived the necessary training, Severus Snape suddenly appeared at my suite at one in the morning. He woke me and without explanation dragged me into the floo.

Narcissa dressed me out of my night gown and into a dark black dress. Suddenly, I'm in one of the Malfoy's many studies, a hard faced Draco facing away from me with the Dark Lord's wand pressed to his forearm.

The smell continued while everyone looked on with a straight face. Draco unflinchingly takes in the pain.

When it was finally over, my nose felt raw and my throat felt dry.

"Ah, if it isn't the famous Kallista Emrys." The Dark Lord greets coming to step in front of me. The way he said my name was almost tantalizing.

Several people look on with stiff backs. Draco and my godfather in particular looked absolutely frozen. They were hoping I didn't need to interact with the Dark Lord.

I couldn't quite place it but there was something in the way that he looked at me... it wasn't at all terrifying but somehow... charming.

Regardless, the man in front of me is unlike anything I've ever seen before. He looked more snake than man. "Coming to support your betrothed?"

"Yes, my lord." I say in a surprisingly calm voice when I was anything but. Voldemort intimidated me that much is certain.

An inhuman smile spreads through his noseless face. "The perfect society wife aren't you?"

I resist the anger that surges through me. I was not a society wife. "Actually, I want to become a part of the Law Enforcement department in the Ministry- to better the Ministry, of course."