rockabye •fourteen

...

"No! No! No! No!—"

"Athena, please stop screaming."

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! I don't want to take a bath. I not smelly!" Athena screams, running around the room trying not to get caught. A week and a half passed by and it was a Friday. The girls played to have lunch with Melody and Louise

"Athena, you have to. We're having lunch with aunt Melody and aunt Louise." Serena says as she tries to catch her three year old. She couldn't hear her own thoughts with Athena's screaming, the water in the bathroom running and things being knocked down.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO..." Athena yells and opens the door and runs out. Serena still heard the yelling and went chasing after her. Serena made it down the hallway and turns the corner only to bump into Jay with Athena in his arms.

"I caught your munchkin." Jay jokes shaking Athena in his arms.

"I don't wanna take a bath, mama. Mister Jay, tell mama!" Athena commands. Jay smirks and shifts Athena to have her look at him.

"You know, I come from the Isle of the Lost and there, people don't take baths. So they'll be all smelly and dirty and no one will go neither them. Since no one goes near them, their mommy don't give the hugs and kiss. Hey! I have an idea. How would you like to go invite with me someday?" Jay asks Athena. Athena shakes her head no and looks at Serena.

"No, no, no, no, mommy please don't let him take me. I will take a bath, I promise." Athena whines as she tries to get out of Jay's arms. Jay puts her down on the ground and Athena goes to hide behind Serena's leg. Serena gave him a thank you smile and goes to leave. As she turns to walk away, Jay catches her hand.

"Can I talk to you for just a minute?" Jay asks and still holding on to her hand. Serena nods and looks at Athena.

"Athena, go and get ready. We have to leave in an hour." Serena tells Athena. Athena instantly ran off back to the room. Serena looks back at Jay and waited. Jay gave her his original flirty smile and leads against the wall. "So?"

"I was wondering if you weren't busy tomorrow night, maybe I could take you out on a date." The question was so sudden to Serena and she didn't have time to process it right.

"O-oh uhh..."

"—We can go on a picnic, sit under the stars, what do you say?" Jay asks hopefully. Serena looks away from embarrassment, not that it was Jay, she found Jay incredibly good looking. Embarrassment that she was being asked out in general.

"Jay, I would love to if I wasn't so busy now. I just think that a relationship isn't what I need right now. It's not you, believe me." Serena assures. Jay's face fell. "Right now I need to look after Athena."

"Of course. Being a mom is a big responsibility. If you ever change your mind, I'll be here." Jay says and winks. He walks away, Serena walks back to her room and hears splashing around. She leans against the closed door.

"Mama! Mama! Can you get me my toys please?" Athena calls from the bathroom.

"Coming." Serena calls back.

All day, Serena was only able to see happy couples. First her sister and Louise. A few couples out of dates. Even an old couple sitting on a bench and holding hands. Serena sits back in her seat with her sister and sister-in-law across from her. Athena happily ate her walnut cheesecake on a stick.

"You've been quiet this whole time, Serena. Is everything alright?" Louise asks in worry. Serena looks up and nods.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. I was just thinking." Serena waves the concerned look on Louise's face away. Melody jumps into the conversation.

"About?" Melody asks. Serena stays silent and Athena took it as an acceptable time to spill the truth.

"Jay asked Mama to go on a picnic with her." Athena says innocent as she takes another bite. Serena gasps and looks at Athena.

"Athena! Were you spying?" Serena asks and crosses her arms. Athena looks up and frowns.

"I sorry, mama." Athena says. Serena sighs and plants a kiss at the top of her head. When looking at her sister she looked surprised by the answer.

SERENA AND JAY. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?