Chapter Three: Nightmares

Harley jolted awake in a pool of sweat. His duvet was tangled up between his legs and his breathing heavy. It's just a dream, it's just a dream. He reminded himself as his heart rate began to normalise. Nightmares was something he had just become used to. It wasn't every night like it had been after the incident, but it was still a frequent occurrence.

He glanced over to Jared's bed and was relieved to find it empty. It didn't surprise Harley that he had snuck out after curfew. Knowing Jared, he was probably with a girl, hiding somewhere with a bottle of liquor, cigarettes or drugs. He needed a walk and a smoke to calm him and he grabbed his black Nike hoodie from the end of the bed and pulled it over his bare torso, covering the single tattoo on his ribs.

The breeze on his legs reminded him that he was only in his boxers and he quickly shoved his legs into a pair of khaki jogging bottoms. He grabbed the gold cross from his bedside table and slipped it into his pocket. He didn't care what he looked like, he just needed the nicotine on his taste buds.

Whilst it was 01:20 and people should be in their rooms due to the curfew set, he knew that at least 10% of Bispham Academy would be out somewhere, drinking, smoking, dealing and doing drugs. It didn't surprise Harley in the slightest. Some of the students didn't care that they had been given a second chance and others would do absolutely anything to forget what they had done.

The walk to the smoking area was long as Harley was wrapped up in his poisonous thoughts. His fingers wrapped around the cigarettes in his pockets and the lighter which was in his hoodie pocket. It was risky, carrying both prohibited items, but he needed it. The smoke that drowned his lungs provided him with the much-needed comfort.

"You do know you shouldn't be smoking?" Cassie said, startling Harley.

He turned in the direction of her and saw the striking ginger sat on the bench. Cassie offered him a small smile and he approached the bench that she was sat on. He took a drag off his cigarette and blew it in the opposite direction before sitting down opposite her.

"You do know that you shouldn't be out here, it's past curfew," he retaliated, and a melodic laugh escaped Cassie's lips. "Couldn't you sleep?"

She shook her head slightly and directed her gaze away from Harley. He sucked in a breath before stubbing out his cigarette and flicking it into the flowerbed. Usually he would make sure it was put into the bin but right now, he didn't care. For some reason, he felt drawn to the girl sat across from him.

"I just want to say sorry for umm, kind of watching you with Mrs. Barlow," Cassie stammered, still avoiding Harley's gaze.

"It's okay-"

"No, it's not. I just want you to know that I didn't hear anything. I was just kind of walking by and I saw you in there and I..." Cassie muttered, a blush settling on her pale cheeks.

She shifted her weight on the bench and looked down at the grey chipped nail varnish.

She's beautiful, something else truly.

His eyes scanned over her pale skin, a few freckles dusted the bridge of her nose, but they were hardly noticeable. Her green eyes were noticeable under the dim light and he wondered how bright they were in daylight. His gaze lingered on her lips slightly too long, the were full, slightly blue, although he couldn't work out if it was the remainder of some lipstick

His eyebrows furrowed. Girls, women, are bad. They cause problems.

"I should go," he said standing up. Cassie looked up at him, opened her mouth to say something, then quickly snapped it shut.