six ; the dark mark

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

"DON'T TELL YOUR MOTHER you've been gambling," Mr Weasley implored Fred and George, as we all made our way slowly down the purple-carpeted stairs.

"Don't worry, Dad," Fred said gleefully, "we've got big plans for this money, we don't want it confiscated."

Mr Weasley looked for a moment as though he was going to ask what these big plans were, but after another moment of reflection, he seemed to decide that he didn't want to know.

Soon, we were caught up in the crowds that were now flooding out of the stadium and back to their campsites. Raucous singing was borne towards us on the night air as we retraced our steps along the lantern-lit path, and leprechauns kept shooting over our heads, cackling and waving their lanterns.

When we finally reached the tents, nobody felt like sleeping at all, and given the level of noise around us, Mr Weasley agreed that we could all have one last cup of cocoa together before turning in. We were soon arguing enjoyably about the match; Mr Weasley got drawn into a disagreement about cobbing with Charlie, and it was only when Ginny fell asleep right at the tiny table and spilled hot chocolate all over the floor that Mr Weasley insisted that everyone went to bed.

After bidding the boys goodnight, Hermione, Ginny and I made our way to the second, smaller tent. Ginny quickly claimed the highest bunk, while I got the middle and Hermione the lowest. Once we had changed into pyjamas and had climbed into bed, the three of us continued talking for a short while before Ginny fell asleep once more, putting a stop to our conversation.

I had always had trouble falling asleep in new places, and the added noise outside didn't help the fact that it took me what seemed like hours to fall asleep. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it) I wasn't really asleep long enough for any nightmares to happen, because before I knew it, Mr Weasley was entering the tent, shouting.

"Get up! Ginny — Rory — Hermione — come on now, get up, this is urgent!"

I was the first to sit up, slightly confused, but awake nonetheless. "What is it, Mr Weasley?"

I could immediately tell that something was wrong. The noises in the campsite had changed. The singing had stopped. I could hear screams, and the sound of people running.

I hopped down from my bunk and reached for my clothes, but Mr Weasley stopped me.

"No time, Rory — just grab a jacket and get outside — quickly!"

I did as I was told, and grabbed the one coat I had brought and pulled on my shoes before hurrying out of the tent behind Mr Weasley with Hermione and Ginny. Harry, Ron, Fred, George, Percy, Bill and Charlie were already outside, looking slightly sleepy yet alert. When I looked at the scene around us, I had to resist the urge to gasp.