Chapter 10 - Pirates

Cheers erupt all over the city as the Great Devourer explodes into a pile of stomach acid. The team and I all breathe sighs of relief and sink to the floor, finally able to rest... until we realize someone's missing.

"Hey, where's Garmadon?" Jay asks.

"He... left," Lloyd whispers. I pat his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him, but I don't think it helps.

"Argh, we should have known not to trust him," Kai says. "He probably made off with the golden weapons the first chance he got!"

"We didn't have a choice, remember?" Nya says. "Besides, what's done is done."

"She's right," Zane says. "We can't do anything about it now, so maybe we should start worrying about where we're going to stay, considering that the bounty's been destroyed."

"Right," I say. "And in the meantime, while we look for a new home, we might as well help clean up the damage the devourer did."

The other ninja start walking down the sidewalk, a hopeful demeanour present between them. Sensei stays behind for a few extra moments, stroking that long white beard of his.

"What's the matter?" I ask him. "Everything okay?"

"Yes, but I fear it won't be for long," he says. "My brother now possesses the golden weapons; who knows what he'll do with them first?"

Weeks Later...

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" I scream, being chased by a bunch of pirates. Well, that's one thing I can cross off my bucket list.

Destiny's Bounty is up and running again, but it's been taken over by Captain Soto's pirate crew. We have no idea where they came from; we only know that Soto used to own the ship many centuries and now he wants it back.

"Y/n! What are you doing?!" Kai yells from on top of a building, watching me run for my life on the streets.

"What does it look like?!"

"Damn it, y/n," Cole shouts, jumping down to help me. Or at least, that's what I thought he was going to do. Instead, he just runs along with me. "Don't tell me all that time spent training you was for nothing!"

I groan. "It's not my fault I have stubby legs!"

"Stubby legs or not, you've got a brain attached to your body," Cole says as he lifts me above his head. "Time to use it!"

"Cole! What the f*** do you think you're doing?!"

"Where did you learn that word?!"

"From you, duh. Put me down!"

Cole tosses me towards the pirates. I shriek, and put my hands out as I fall, summoning as much power as I can. A wave of y/e radiates from me, knocking down all the pirates, and allowing me to tumble onto the pavement unscathed.

"Yowza!" I hear, and turn to see Jay dodge the anchor attached to Destiny's Bounty, which is being dragged across the roads we only just repaired earlier this week. As the anchor passes me, I see Kai holding onto the chain for dear life.

"Should we help him?" I ask Cole, unable to avert my gaze.

"I don't know... I kind of want to see how this ends."

"Cole!"

"Okay, okay, fine."

...

The next thirty minutes fly by as we rescue Kai from the anchor and gather the team in the place we're staying temporarily. It's a really ugly townhome that's slowly falling apart, but it's all we can afford right now. There's not much in here that even belongs to us; just our clothes, and the pile of Starfarer comics that Lloyd and I have been reading together. We're currently halfway through issue 27.