chapter 28

*katherines pov*

We got out of the shower, wrapping towels around both of us. Billie brushed her teeth and put her invisalign back in afterwards.

We walked back to her room before getting dressed, because we both didn't bring clothes to the bathroom for after our shower.

I picked one of Billie's sweatshirts and a pair of her sweatpants, and I plopped down on her bed. She was still changing, but I waited for her so we could cuddle.

After she got dressed, she walked over to her assortment of different perfumes, and then walked over to me. She sprayed the warm vanilla scent onto the hoodie I was wearing.

She walked over to her rack again, grabbing a second bottle of the scent. She placed it in my bag, smiling at me.

"That's for when you miss me."

"So, all the time?"

She was only gonna be gone two weeks but we were truly treating it like she was going away for college. I didn't want her to leave. I got so used to spending everyday with her that I haven't been home in forever. I don't wanna go back to my room, I wanna sit in her red-filled space forever. It felt like our space.

She came and laid by me, putting her arm out for me to lay on. I laid there, snuggling my face into the crook of her neck, closing my eyes to enjoy the moment. But before we knew it, we were both snoring.

~

"Breakfast!" Patrick called out from the kitchen, which was followed by clicking sounds on the wood floor from Pepper.

Billie was already awake, scrolling through instagram. She looked over at me stretching and yawning, smiling as soon as she saw my eyes flutter open.

"Good morning sunshine." She said, kissing my forehead.

I rolled out of bed, stretching whenever I stood up. "We should probably go get breakfast." I suggested, pulling her out of bed.

The smell of pancakes and toast filled the room as Maggie prepared plates for everybody. She had a bright smile on her face and was in an obvious good mood.

Billie in the other hand, not so much. She seemed sulky and didn't say anything to anyone the entire breakfast. She just ate her food, put her plate up, and then walked back to her room without even waiting for me. It wasn't long before I heard her bedroom door shut.

Her leaving me was really beating her up. And, it was really hitting me too. Today was the day she was leaving for another two weeks, and I couldn't be sadder. I don't know how i'm gonna handle tour. I hope I don't have to.

I excused myself, thanking her parents for the breakfast, before walking back to Billie's room. I turned the doorknob, but it wasn't budging.

I knocked slightly, "Bil? It's me." I said, turning the knob and knocking. I heard a sniffle come from behind the closed door, and footsteps right before a crying Billie opened the door. She pulled me into her arms as soon as I stepped into her room.

"Billie it's only two weeks. I promise it'll be okay." I said, pulling away from her and looking into her puppy dog eyes. She was so heart broken.

"I don't wanna wake up not being next to you bro. I don't wanna go to sleep without kissing you good night. I don't wanna do these stupid interviews answering the same questions every time. It's so stressful. I feel so free and like there's nothing wrong in my life when I'm with you. When I'm not with you, I lose all sense of home and feeling safe. It's all gone." She said, yelling through her tears.

She sat down on the floor, bringing her knees to her chest, sobbing into them.

I couldn't bare seeing her like that. I kneeled down, hugging her, trying to do just anything to make her feel okay.

~

"It's gate 495A" Maggie said, walking through the airport giving Billie directions. I got a security pass, meaning I can walk past security and into the gates until her flight leaves. Which meant I get to spend as much time as possible with her before she leaves.

We walk through the entire airport, searching for the gate that Maggie previously called out the number to.

"452D...421A...404D..." Billie said out loud, reading the signs.

"We're going the wrong way, mom." She said, huffing as she turned around. She walked fast past all of the signs and gates she had already passed before. She was in an obvious bad mood.

I grabbed her hand, intertwining our fingers. She looked down, smiling at our hands. That was the first time I'd seen her smile since first thing this morning.

We eventually reach the gate, but we still had about thirty minutes until they boarded. We sat in the waiting area, listening to music in shared headphones as my head sat on her shoulder.

She didn't say much, but her body language just spoke "sadness." I hated it so much. I want her to be happy so bad.

Everybody shared laughs once Finneas started talking about Claudia again. Dude was really head over heels.

"Flight boarding first class in five minutes." The flight attendant called from her podium. Billie looked up at me, as sadness filled her eyes once again.

She stood up, wrapping her arms around me as tight as she possibly could. I could feel her body shaking. I wrapped my arms around her body, burying my head in her neck. This felt so different. Goodbye hugs are the worst.

She lifted her head from my body, grabbing my cheeks. She kissed my lips softly, as the intercom blasted that they were boarding first class.

"I love you." She said, pulling away from me slowly as tears went down her cheek.

"To neptune and back." I replied with.

"I love you to neptune and back, baby." I repeated. She smiled, waving at me as she entered the jetway.