The Starbucks Guy Complex

Lee expected to recognize regulars, especially ones that visited between rushes

Lee expected to recognize regulars, especially ones that visited between rushes. One thing he didn't expect, though, was to fall head over heels for one regular in particular.

It was the fifth consecutive date Lee had witnessed in the five days he worked that week. If they were all different couples it wouldn't have been odd at all—this was Starbucks, dammit, otherwise known as the epicenter of campus interactions. People were allowed to take their dates there and Lee wasn't about to judge. He took the orders of hundreds of students every day he worked, ergo, he saw weird shit once in a while.

What was odd about the five consecutive dates, though, was the fact that they were all dates with the same guy, just different partners. Lee wouldn't have thought anything of it if the guy wasn't already a regular. As if Lee wasn't already a flustered mess at the briefest glimpse of the guy.

Milo Park, better known as the university's star running back and local heartthrob. He was, without a doubt, Lee Asano's ultimate demise.

Park not only frequented Starbucks, but was also a frequent participant in frat row shenanigans. Lee wasn't one to willingly pass frat row, by any means. He'd rather swan dive off the Golden Gate than tamper with frat row during the daytime. It was one thing to go there for a weekend party, and a completely other scenario to visit during the day—it was like seeing raccoons in broad daylight: Odd, and likely infested with rabies.

However, one of the few times Lee passed during the daytime, he witnessed Milo Park shirtless and screaming at the top of his lungs from the second story balcony of a frat house before leaping into a bouncy house to the tune of every guy and girl on the lawn shouting his name.

Lee had been so alarmed, along with every other student on the sidewalk with him, that when Park's head emerged from the bouncy house ball pit, fists in the air, a breath of relief echoed from him to every passing stranger. Park was, practically, the face of their football team. If he broke a leg over a stupid Triple Dog Dare at frat parties, it'd be over for USFC's football season.

The last thing he wanted to picture was Park rolling through the Starbucks line in a brace and crutches.

Lee really had no reason to be irked as he pushed out two drinks onto the counter and called out Milo's name for the order, and a preppy, skinny guy came to get it.

He really wasn't in the place to be irked. It didn't matter to him. It wasn't his problem.

"Thanks," the lucky date said, smiling wide with that perfect blonde hair and cute round glasses.

"No problem," Lee said, frozen in place.

He stared after the kid as he went to the bar top in front of the store window where a familiar, black-haired running back sat with his feet perched on the stool spokes. His broad back, that charming, charismatic smile. None of it was fair.