Part 21

I didn't recognize the man sitting in my home.

"How...?" Hallers stepped in before me, his professional mask cracking as he realized that in his absence a strange man had been allowed to enter the house.

The man smiled, the expression showing too much teeth, coming across as more threatening than reassuring. "Now, now, butler... don't get your uniform tied up in knots, your staff didn't have a choice." He turned towards Henry and me, giving a formal bow.

"Sir Matchins, at your service." His voice was mocking, the bow too shallow to be truly respectful.

I stepped forward, "Sir Matchins, although we haven't been formally introduced, I do wonder as to the urgency of the matter that caused you to be at our home so late in the evening." I kept my face calm and neutral, ignoring the discomfort of his gaze, as he looked me up and down. "I would be happy to discuss this further in the morning."

His smile widened. "I'm afraid this matter has already waited over five years, milady. Another day simply won't do." He reached out a hand, holding something out towards me.

The movement was made too quickly, both Henry and Hallers stepped in between us, as if trying to shield me. Recognizing that he was holding a sheath of papers rather than a weapon, I slowly let go of the throwing knife I had grasped inside of my pocket and stepped closer, taking the papers and studying them.

As I looked over the words and numbers written neatly there, I struggled to maintain an expression of composure.

"Why did you wait so long to come forward?" My voice was monotone, as if I truly didn't care about his answer.

He laughed, a strange, unsettling sound. "I didn't want to be seen as a harassing a noble family, but with how your circumstances have... changed, Miss, I thought it best to come forward and collect now rather than wait for you to honor it yourself."

His tone was spiteful, I felt Hallers shift beside me and reached out to touch his shoulder, hoping to calm him. "Well you have delivered your paperwork. I will be visiting your office within the week to settle the matter."

He laughed again, "Not a week. Three days. I've waited long enough."

"YOU DARE....?!" Hallers' roar of anger startled me for a moment, but I held up my hand silencing him.

"Three days, then. Goodbye, Sir Matchins. I hope you'll forgive me for not seeing you out."

With a smirk he left, the soft click of the door closing behind him unnaturally loud in the silence he left behind.

My fists slowly tightened, crumpling the papers in one hand, my nails digging unimpeded into the flesh of my palm with the other.

"Lenora... what does he want?" Henry asked quietly, confused by my lack of expression.

"What does he want?" I asked, not recognizing the sound of my own voice, it was so distorted by anger and disgust. "He wants everything."

"..." Henry stared at me for a moment with dismay.

"Miss, your hand!" Hallers cried out, reaching to grab my free hand. I looked down, startled to realize that my nails had broken the skin of my palm and blood was running down my hand, staining the sleeves of my dress.

I pulled my hand away, "It's nothing. Call Rig over, now." I walked towards my office. "We have work to do."

_______________________________

Rig entered the office quietly, closing the door behind him. I could hear his entrance, but kept my back to him, staring out the window as if entranced by the darkness beyond the glass.