Chapter 41

"You proved more difficult to find than I'd thought."

Callum Winters hadn't moved from where he lounged against the fireplace mantle, dressed in chainmail and riding clothes. Instead, his men had hauled me towards him and shoved me down into a chair. They'd torn my sword from its sheath, dumped my bow and quiver on the floor, and tied my hands behind me so tightly that the rope chafed against my wrists. I thrashed and cursed, powerless against them, but hopeful that the racket might alert my guards downstairs.

Yet after several minutes of Callum watching me with amusement, it proved fruitless. There was no use demanding who'd sent him, or what he wanted. The fact he'd bound and disarmed me was answer enough.

Dulciana.

When I finally settled, Callum pushed away from the hearth and crouched to bring out faces level. "In the end, Her Majesty was right. The children led us straight to you."

The bastard. They'd used the Carvalho children as bait. Rafael's brothers and sisters hadn't escaped by sheer luck. They'd been allowed to flee, terrified, so they could be followed to the only other safe place they knew – wherever their older brother was. Even if Dulciana hadn't stooped so low as to torture it out of children, Frederico's location was still compromised.

But I couldn't think about that now, about all our best laid plans, turned to dust.

"Your terms," I ground out.

A smile sliced across Callum's face. "No, I don't suppose you'd enjoy hearing me gloat." He pushed himself upright. "But you're pragmatic, I'll give you that. You should count your lucky stars that it was me Dulciana sent to find you, and not her bloodhound of a husband."

"I'll start counting my lucky stars when you untie me," I fired back.

"Oh, Thomas. You were supposed to be the clever one." Callum tsked. "Surely you know there is only one way this ends."

A shiver of dread skittered up my spine. Of course I did. I'd been an utter fool to come here. I should have known. I should have at least guessed. I should have thought of something other than the feel of Beatriz' lips for a fates-damned second before I'd left.

I was going to die here, in this forsaken inn. An inn near Frederico's camp, an inn allied with the rebels. Dulciana would send my body back to my father and tell him the rebels had done it. She wouldn't have known about the letter I'd managed the smuggle out, which hopefully would make my family question her. But that didn't matter now, not when my blood would soak the threadbare rug and the wooden floor.

"Yes, now you understand," Callum nodded, malevolence glittering in his eyes. "Though fear not, little prince. I may be an exile, but I am still a Pretanian at heart. You should be glad it's me because, unlike Armando, I'm prepared to offer you an alternative."

I ground my teeth, glaring up at him.

"I'll escort you safely to Pretania myself, but with some conditions."

I didn't like the cruel glee on his face, like a cat toying with a mouse before devouring it. What was breaking his alliance with Dulciana and saving my life worth to him? How much did he think my parents would trade for me?

"Pardon me." He leaned closer as if to savour my reaction.

"Is that all?" I blurted out, realizing too late that he wasn't finished. He grinned. Alarm jangled at the back of my mind, stifled until now by the rope searing into my skin and the sweat beading on my forehead.

No. No, he couldn't–

"Pardon me...and marry my Adelaide, like you were always supposed to."

I reeled back as if slapped, unable to bite back the word that burst from my mouth. "Never!"