TAKE XXIII- The Light Once Again

TAKE XXIII.

    “So….” The class rep, handed me a piece of paper. “These are your scripts. Please memorize them. I’d need it in an hour.”

    I jaw dropped. “AN HOUR!?!! I AIN’T SUPERHUMAN!”

    “An hour or you’ll be cleaning the classroom alone.”

    “Are you aiming to be Akashi?”

    “Huh?”

    “Never mind.” I rolled my eyes and stared at the paper.

Romeo: Oh Juliet! This is our fate! No one could reverse this cruel destiny!

.

.

Romeo: I love you, Juliet. Death shall never do us apart!

    I blinked repeatedly. “THIS IS TOO CHEESY I CAN’T!!!!” I screamed. The class rep patted my shoulder.

    “Have patience, Akihiko-san. You’ll survive this…. With my guide!”

    “What!? No! No!!!!”

* * * *

    “I think my soul just….” I muttered and landed on the cold floor of the classroom.

    “Stand up, Akihiko-san. We have another twenty lines.”

    “Why are you torturing me!?!!”

    “This is called training.”

    “No! You’re certainly trying to kill me!”

    “As you wish.”

    “Mou~!!”

    “Fine. 15 minutes break.”

    I pouted and got out of the classroom. The class rep is scary. I walked past the student council meeting room and heard voices so Akashi won’t be in his room. I’d want to meet Snowy, but it’d be rude to barge in without him inside. Okay, since when did I become this polite?

    Anyway, I went to the vending machine to buy my favorite drink, which is plain water Evian. While drinking, my feet moved towards the basketball court. It’s like walking on air. I felt so light and on cue, I threw my empty bottle into the dustbin and grabbed one ball.

    Will I be able to play like before?

    Will I be able to feel the passion of basketball like before?

    Will I be able to love basketball again?

“He is watching over you. Hold this basketball, close your eyes and feel his gaze. He’d want to see you happy with his passion.”

    Akashi’s voice lingered in my head.

    “I shall believe in you once and for all, Akashi Seijuurou.” I told myself and ran to the tip-off line. Dribbling, I stared at the basket.

Love this again.

    As if there’s a defense in front of me, I turned my body partially and ran to the left. Stopped at the three-pointer line and shoot the ball. It went in perfectly. Grinning, I went to take the bouncing ball and dribbled it, running towards the other basket. I dodged the air, imagining as if there’s defenses. I made another three-pointer and grinned wider. Can’t believe I still manage to shoot it.

    I ran to the opposite basket and this time, jumped and attempted a dunk. I almost…. ALMOST touched the rim and the ball hit the backboard. I gasped, realizing how far I was from the ground and yelped when the ball reflected and hit my face. And together with the ball, I fell down from the attempted dunk spot. It was far, to be honest. I hit the floor with a loud ‘thud’ and I did a super mega ultra big mistake.