𝐸𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

BOMBING OF THE GARRISON

BIRMINGHAM, 1921

DEATH FOLLOWED BY GRIEF was an emotion Deborah had familiarised herself with since she was a young girl. It was a gut wrenching emotion that came with losing a loved one and it never got easier. Instead it brought and left a permanent darkness that etched itself into your heart and scarred. After all the death and lost they had encountered through the years, another loved one passing on still impacts them all the same. As Deborah stood in the graveyard with the man she loved at one side and her oldest friend on the other, she realised that the death of poor Freddie Thorne had affected them all in some way. She grieved the fearless man she had known through the years and for Ada, the widowed mother.

Clutching Ada's arm in her own, Deborah could only hope that in some way it would keep her friend anchored. It is frightening, that first realisation of how alone you truly are but the brunette swore to herself that her friend wouldn't feel that fear. She was surrounded by family and friends that would love and support her through this grief - even if she didn't want it. Thankfully Tommy pulled Deborah from her dark thoughts as he tightened his grip on her hand before stepping closer to the open grave to say a few words.

Clearing his throat, the emotionless man paused briefly to stare down at the coffin before beginning. "I promised my friend, Freddie Thorne, I'd say a few words over his grave if he should die before me. I made this promise before he became my brother-in-law, when we were in France, fighting for the King."

"Amen." Arthur praised.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie. Pestilence took him." Tommy continued. "But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation, before he was cruelly taken."

The funeral came to an end once the first shovel of dirt hit the top of the coffin and John and Esme's new born let out a piercing scream. The crowd began to disperse after saying their final goodbyes, while Deborah turned around and took the baby from John and began soothing the little boy's cries. The husband and wife of two years rushed off to calm the rest of their wild kids and their nephew Karl, just as Deborah and Polly watched over a stiff encounter between Tommy and Ada.

Bouncing the small babe in her arms, the young brunette cautiously approached the brother and sister duo, Polly trailing at her side. "I warned him now wasn't the time for business." The older woman of the two spoke up.

Deborah simply rolled her eyes and pursed her painted red lips. "There's always time for business in Tommy's mind." She reminded her foster mother.

"Not a fucking funeral." Polly cursed before they reached the two. "Karl's with his cousins. I caught 'em trying to pinch flowers off a grave." She announced once they were in the others presence.

Deborah stood at Tommy's side, watching for any signs of annoyance on his face. "So, Ada, when are you coming home?" She asked her friend, a hopeful spark at the thought of spending more time with her.