Brace Yourself

Present Day

I have tried anything and everything to convince Conrad to let me stay home, to not go on this trip with him to the Phoenix Pack, my foster family. My mind has been in overdrive ever since he dropped this bomb on me yesterday evening. I woke up this morning alone in bed and came to the conclusion that he slipped out sometime in the night. That also meant that I didn't have the advantage of convincing him to let me off the hook while he was still half asleep in the morning.

Instead, I'm trying while he's already drinking his second coffee.

"I think I'm coming down with a cold."

He rolled his eyes, "We don't get colds, Ad."

"Sorry I meant the flu," I adjusted. He shook his head and I decided to try once more, "Yellow fever?"

At least I got him to snort a laugh, but he still shook his head at me from across his desk. I was perched in my usual chair, Johnson in the one beside me who offered a supportive smile. He knew exactly how pissed I was, though, and made the smart decision to stay out of it and not poke the bear-- or wolf, I guess.

I like to pride myself on the fact that I can normally butter up Conrad to go with just about whatever I want, as long as it's reasonable. But he hasn't even budged an inch on this, and it's really starting to piss me off.

"Why are you so adamant that I go, anyway?"

Conrad sighed, "I told you, you're one of my best when it comes to hunters."

"Bullshit."

He looked up at me fully, locking eyes. He rolled his neck around before finally admitting, "Okay, fine. I'm on edge with this group, especially pertaining to you, and I refuse to let history repeat itself. Which means you're with me 24/7."

Well isn't that a nice little jolt to the nervous system, that idea along with all those horrible memories.

"Do you really think they're gonna come after me? That I'm still 'marked'?" I asked him, my tone flat if not borderline condescending, but on the inside I was trembling. That just couldn't be possible, right? I continued, "I mean, he was alone in that place, you really think he told anyone about me before I sank his own knife in his chest?"

"You never know."

It wasn't the answer I wanted, wasn't one that reassured me, and the smug ass knew it too, because I could see the look of triumph in his eyes even as his face remained immovable.

Johnson shifted uncomfortably as he always did when he could sense that Con and I were about to get into it. He piped up, "As much as I'd love to hear whatever it is Addie was going to say to absolutely hand you your ass, Con, I think it's time for you two to get going."

Oh, Johnson, ever the sweet talker. Seriously, the guy somehow always manages to side with Conrad while still cushioning my massive ego. Bless him and his magical way with words. He may have the biggest muscles out of the three of us, but he's definitely the most level-headed and is always the mediator.

"Let's go, Addie," Conrad stood up, grabbing his work bag before stopping in front of me in my chair.

I shook my head, "No thanks."

He rolled his eyes, already losing his patience with me and it's only 9AM-- must be a new record. Narrowing his eyes at me, he spoke again, "Get your ass up or I will throw you over my shoulder and throw you into the car like a damn rag doll."

Knowing he was absolutely not kidding from past experience, I groaned but stood up and followed him out to the car that was already packed with our belongings. The sneaky bastard had also packed my stuff while I was sleeping.

Conrad sped out of pack territory as if he knew I was contemplating opening the door and rolling out. But going this fast, that would hurt pretty damn bad, so I decided to keep put and instead brace myself for what was to come.

The more we drove, the more antsy I became. My leg bounced up and down, I took to biting my nails in between sessions of nervously wringing my hands together. Not to mention the random noises I kept making in different patterns, or the songs I made up based on signs we saw.

Would they even recognize me? It's been five years, and sure I haven't drastically changed my appearance since then, but I have drastically changed as a person. I let out another nervous hum. Connie's knuckles were white with how tightly he was gripping the steering wheel.

I tried to quiet down, but the anxiety, and was that even a bit of excitement?, built up even more as we passed landscape that I finally recognized of what was formerly my home. Five years, and yet it felt like another lifetime.

My heart felt heavy with an inexplicable sadness as we pulled up the driveway of the Simmons home, separate from the pack house, and then there they were; Alan, Mary Anne, Jordan, and even Samaria, my old best friend, stood in the driveway, ready to greet us. My heavy heart plummeted to the depths of hell.

"I can't do this," I whispered to him as we parked, "I mean I really, really can't do this, Connie."

He reached over and took my hand, squeezing it once, but I could read all the words in his eyes; You've got this. I've got you. It'll all be okay.

"Let's go," He murmured, releasing my hand. Conrad then stepped out of the card and walked around the back to open my door for me, allowing me to slip out behind him. He met my eye once more, gave me one more look of encouragement and support that I'd grown used to having from him, before his stone cold Alpha exterior washed over his face and he turned towards the awaiting party.

I followed suit, allowing my Pack Warrior mask to slip into place and followed as he greeted them, "Alpha Simmons."

"Alpha Rhodes." Alan nodded, dipping his head just barely. His voice was tight, his body stiff and uncomfortable. His eyes bounced to me briefly, but quickly returned back to Conrad, "Shall we?"

Conrad gestured with his arm to lead on, and so we followed them inside, yet all I could think was the fact that they truly didn't recognize me.