43. The Last Hope

Clara

Six years ago

I have been sitting on a bench, bringing my legs to my chest. The day turned into afternoon, the afternoon turned into evening and evening turned into night but I didn't change my position. By now, my stomach was grumbling with hunger and my whole back was aching but somehow, it didn't make me want to move.

It took me very long to realise that I was not alone now. I had another tiny human being feeding on me and now, it's my responsibility to eat something for his sake.

He was my only hope. I couldn't lose him too.

When I finally stood up, a tiny wave of dizziness hit me but I gained balance soon after. Dragging myself to a nearby store, I bought a carton of juice and a packet of biscuit. While I was paying the bill, my eyes landed on the landline phone placed on the counter.

No. Don't you dare Clara. Not after what you did.

The sane voice in my head stopped me from doing that but the lonely part of me won the argument and I asked the cashier if I can use the phone in exchange of some money.

My hands trembled as I dialed Dad's number. I thought he might forgive me once I tell him about the baby. Picking up the receiver, I waited for him to answer but no voice heard from the other side.

Sighing in dejection, I dialed Mom's number but same response.

I was not good with numbers so the only other phone number I remembered was their office. Dad often stayed there till mignight so there was a high chance he was still there.

After trying one time, a feminine voice answered form the other side.

"Is it Rachel?" I asked. She was Dad's secretary.

"No. It's Amanda. Who do you want to talk?" she replied in a professional tone.

"Um.. Can I talk to Mr. Avery?" I asked, hoping that he would not refuse to talk to me.

"Mr. Avery? Are you talking about the owner of Avery textiles?" she inquired.

"Yes."

"I am sorry Ma'am but he is no more." she answered and that's when all the blood rushed out of my body.

"Wh.. What d.. do you mean he is... he is no more? Has he... Has he left the building?" I tried to control my trembling tongue.

"No Ma'am. I'm sorry but as much as I know, he died of heart attack three months back. Her wife sold the company to my boss and moved to Canada." she said but I didn't hear anything after the word 'heart attack'.

Three months back? Does it mean? No. Please no.

Tears were streaming down my face as I cut the call and ran out of the store. I could hear the cashier calling me from behind but if I stayed there any more minute, I would have puked.

Once I was outside, I ran to a corner and spilled my guts out, all the while wiping the tears that were wetting my face. At that moment, I didn't care that somebody was watching me or making fun from me. All I cared about was my Dad, whom I would never see again. He died without knowing how much I was ashamed of my decision and knowing that I was the reason of his death, it just turned my insides into a tangled mess.