Little Princess (3)

"If it helps you feel better, everyone in this cafe had already faced one of her many tempers. And I tell she has a lot of that. Normally, she would look like the stuck up that she is, not looking at you as you get her order until you give up and hand over to Liam in which," she wagged her finger in front of Aki's face, "she would act sweet and dainty and lovely. She is okay with everything Liam would recommend. And well, it's not like we can throw out a picky customer, right? She's paying and a regular..." Alex was barely above a whisper so Aki had to lean in a bit. "...though I kinda wish, like, people won't think that being a regular is like owning the place and treat the staff as your own servants, you know what I'm saying?"

Aki nodded. Some people act like they own everyone and others would cater to just about all of their whims. He had to learn it the hard way.

"Why does she keep coming back here then?" he asked.

"Liam." Alex shrugged as if that was the only answer to his question which probably was.

"I guess I'm unlucky to run into one of her moods then," Aki said.

Alex made face again. "No. I don't think so. She's zeroed in on you because Liam personally teaches you. Like she got territorial or something. But anyways," she grinned again, "take your drink and rest."

In his haste to take the cup and take his long-awaited break, Aki bumped his leg on a corner and almost fell down as though his leg had grown limp from the lack of energy. He was so surprised that he remained staring wide-eyed at the equally wide-eyed Alex in front of him.

The cold floor that he expected to feel did not come. Instead, his line of sight moved upwards again. He realized belatedly that he was being hoisted up. With a little frantic movement, he twisted his body and found it difficult to do so with arms snaked around his waist and his arm being tugged up. Aki flushed and he could feel it spreading up to his ears and neck.

"Geez. Are you okay?" Liam asked close to Aki's ear. He steadied Aki but did not let go even after Aki stood upright.

"I'm fine!" Aki winced at his high-pitched voice. "I-- my knees turned jelly for a sec there. But I'm okay now."

"Are you sure?" Liam gave him a look from head to toe, checking if something was not right.

Aki nodded, a little too eager to get away from Liam. The words Alex said about the Little Princess and her reaction to him was still fresh in his mind.

But Liam clearly had other ideas when he pulled Aki closer. It was a subtle movement that was probably not even noticeable by other people but Aki felt that light tug all the same. It was probably meant as a reassurance but it brought Aki various emotions. He was horrified, mortified and terrified that someone, anyone of these handfuls of customers might have caught sight of what happened and turned out to be the next Little Princess.

Yet a small part of him relished that warmth, that assurance, that attention, something he had never gotten before. And okay, maybe that part was not so small after all. And okay, that part was starting to freak him out.