6. Owens

Jamie woke up the next morning to the smell of breakfast and the sounds of a muffled conversation. Jamie peeked out of her dad's bedroom door and saw her dad towering over a much smaller woman. She watched as the woman stood close to her dad, looking up at him with dreamy eyes. She tried to listen in on the conversation, until she felt a cough coming on. She quickly closed the door as the pair quickly looked over and her coughing fit began.

"Ah, shit. Here we go with this", Jamie said as she started rummaging through her bag.

Hopper and Joyce gave each other a quick look as Hopper made his way to the door and knocked. Hopper chuckled to himself as he almost did the secret knock.

"Hey Jai, everything alright?", Hopper asked as he rubbed his beard.

"Um... I'm out"

"Out of what?" Hopper decided to walk into the room, slowly. He gave Joyce a confused look as he closed the door behind him. He saw Jamie sitting on the bed with the contents of her bag sprawled out across the bed.

"My inhaler, dad. It's empty.", Jamie said as she let out another cough.

"Shit, okay kid. We can get this refilled later on today. I know exactly who to ask." Hopper always relied on, more so expected, Dr. Owens to help him out when he needed a favor. Especially when it dealt with trying to avoid the feds. He didn't expect to introduce his estranged daughter to Hawkins like this, but he also remembered when she had an attack in the middle of the night and him and Diane spent a lot of time and money in the emergency room.

"I kinda need it now dad." Jamie's breathing became more labored as she started to wheeze with every breath.

"Shit! Okay, put something on."

Hopper ran out the room, grabbed his shoes and tossed Joyce his keys. She unexpectedly caught them and shot him a confused look.

"I need you to drive!", Hopper quickly told her as he disappeared back into his bedroom. He reappeared moments later carrying Jamie in his arms and rushed towards the front door.

Joyce rushed out behind them and hopped into the drivers seat as she watched Hopper climb in the back with Jamie. "Where are we going?", Joyce asked as she caught a glimpse at Jamie.

Hopper looked Joyce in the eyes through the rearview mirror before replying "Owens". He saw the confused look on her face and shouted, "Joyce, PLEASE!"

Joyce obliged and sped through the gravel out onto the town roads. Hopper's attention was focused on getting Jamie to calm down and steady her breathing. In the middle of him coaching her, Hopper replayed the day in his head when he and Sarah were at the park and she started to hyperventilate. From that day on, Sarah's health took a turn for the worse. Hopper secretly feared that the same would happen to Jamie someday.

Joyce, on the other hand, was slightly confused. It just seemed that everything was working in their favor. Every single time they approached a red light, Joyce thought about switching on the police lights. However, when she would reach for them, all of the stop lights turned green. She would have just chucked it up to luck, but with everything that went on with Will, she knew better.

As they approached Dr. Owens office, the security gates opened before they even approached the guard stand. Joyce sped in and pulled up to the front door. Hopper jumped out carrying Jamie as he ran inside. He knew the place like the back of his hand. He made his way to Dr. Owens' office and luckily found the man sitting behind his desk.

Dr. Owens was startled by Hopper's unannounced entry and saw the desperate look on his face, along with a young girl in his arms who was clearly in distress. Before Owens could speak, Hopper shouted "asthma attack". Dr. Owens shot up from behind his desk, and ran with Hopper as he carried Jamie through a few doors with the words "Authorized Personnel Only" on them.
Owens led them to a room similar to a regular doctor's office.