cooking*(chapter 11)

I woke early in the morning and sighed remembering what happened the day before . This day was going to be hell I thought to myself.

I took a slow shower then had my breakfast before I left the hotel . The hotel staff seemed to be looking at me strangely and it made me really uncomfortable.

I looked down and walked around the village , so many people looked at me and some even talked in their native tongue .

I knew for sure I was their main topic , I wanted burry myself and die in shame , I should not have listened to Sthe . As I was walking I was stopped by a voice calling my name.

"Ajax!!" I turned and saw Mariam, running towards me. She finally reached me and smiled , "hello Ajax" , "hey Mariam", "look don't look so down they'll stop talking about it soon enough. How about we start our cooking lessons today?"

I nodded now in a much better mood than before.

I followed her to the palace , we went to an outside shed . "First you should learn how to make a fire" , I looked at her , "really?", "Yes, tie this around your head" .

She said giving me a long cloth which she helped me tie my hair up with. "You look like a wife now" , she joked , well I hoped she was joking .

She began to show me how to make a fire and I swear the smoke almost killed me . I kept coughing , this was so not good for my health , I thought.

She told me to help blow the fire and I did , by the time the fire was on , my eyes were stinging and red with tears . My throat was dry to the point I had to drink a large gallop of water.

Mariam, then showed me how to cook samp and beans . She had already left the beans and samp to moisten over night so we just had to cook it .

Then she taught me how to cook malamogodu( tribe) the word was long so I could not pronounce it . The tribe was really bad smelling that I could not take it . I ran out of the shed and went to throw up.

"This is nasty Mariam", I whined , "yes it does smell bad but it tastes good" . I pouted and got to work cleaning the tribe . I truly acted like a city maiden with long nails .

Finally the food was boiling in the pots. She taught me how to spice it up and it smelled good as it simered in the pots . A true African delicacy.

"Dali", a voice called out to me , of cause I knew who it was . I got out of the shed and looked at Sthe , "have you had rest yet?" He asked walking to me , I shook my head no while wiping my hands with a dish washing cloth .

"Then we will go rest" , "no I need to finish cooking" I said now looking at Mariam, hoping she will help me out. "Brother in law we are pretty busy cooking for the family" , "his done" Sthe, simply declared .

"I'm the one who asked her to teach me you know" , "i know but your not following my instructions" . "Have I got myself a husband ?" I asked with a frown .

He smirked and walked up to me , he bend down and whispered , "yes you've gained yourself a husband Dali". I froze at those words , "your stuck with me for the rest of your life, try to run away, I will find you Dali".

My cheeks turned red , what have I gotten myself into? I lamented on my life choices. The man was serious and I knew it. Let's go for a walk he said and took my hand and gently dragged me forward .