45. The Fear Of Truth

Aaron

"Who the fuck turned the lights on?" I screamed as the bright light blinded me temporarily.

"Geez, what the hell happened to you?" I heard Crystal's voice. Once my eyes adjusted to the light, my reflection in the mirror by my bed caught my attention. My hair looked like someone had exploded a bomb in them and my face was coated with a layer of oil.

"Leave me alone." I screamed, hiding my face under the pillow.

She hopped on the bed beside me and forgetting my request, asked in a weary voice, "Did you talk to Clara?"

Last night, after retuning from Ryan's, I called Crystal and told her about everything. She urged me to go talk to Clara but I was afraid of seeing her or hearing her side of truth. So I buried myself under the duvet like a coward instead of confronting her.

"No." I grumbled, ashamed of myself.

"Why not?" she asked and attempted to turn me around but failed miserably, considering the difference between our weights.

"Because I am scared." I admitted dejectedly.

"Scared?" she glowered. "Stop being a fucking coward Aaron. She has been through a lot and you can't even talk to her? And then people say men are stronger. Bullshit."

When I didn't reply, she pushed me once again, with extra effort this time and I had to grip the sheets to stop myself from falling.

"Get up. You're going to meet her and I don't want to hear any excuse." she slapped my arm.

"She was really upset Crystal. There were huge tears in her green eyes and I didn't know how to make them stop. I am really afraid to find out what happened to her when Ryan left her alone." I pouted.

"So go and talk to her. Share her grief and listen to what she had to say." she crossed her arms in front of her chest and ordered.

...

After pressing the bell, I waited for her to come out. Shifting on my feet, I repeated what I was going to say to her in my mind. I didn't want to take any chance because one wrong word would stop her from putting her trust in me.

When the door finally opened, I expected to find Clara in front of me but instead, a short petite brunette walked out. As far as my memory helped, she was probably Clara's roommate.

"Aaron?" she asked and I nodded.

"Um.. Where is she.. Clara?" I asked nervously, swallowing the ball of saliva down my throat.

Her eyes shifted between my face and the ground and with every passing second filled with silence, my anxiety increased.

"She has left." she whispered and I couldn't understand what she meant by left.

"Has she gone out with a friend? Or someone else? I can wait for her inside, if you don't mind." I said and her frown deepened.

"No, you didn't understand. She had moved out of the apartment." she told me and my eyes drew closer in shock. Last I remember, she lived here so why did she move out in hurry?

"Can you direct me to her new place? I really need to meet her." I requested.

"Are you really that dumb Mr. Vincent?" she almost yelled in anger and despite her small guilt, she looked really scary in her rage filled state. "She left the house without telling me. Last I talked to her on phone, she was fine and the next thing I know, I am finding a post-it saying she had moved out. Obviously you must have done something during these last three days that just pissed her off."

Confusion and worry filled my mind and I let out a small curse. "Is she fine?" I asked and when the woman standing in front of me threw daggers at me with her brown eyes, I silenced up.

Leaving me standing there, she walked inside her home and shut the door with a thud.

Groaning in frustration, I sat down on the ground in front of the door of her house. My head started spinning at the thought of her being in any danger. I felt helpless and not in control, and not being in control scares me. She was once again alone out there and I didn't know what to do.

Sitting here won't do anything. Standing up, I knocked at the door again. After almost knocking for five minutes, she opened the door and once agaim glared at me.

"Listen, please tell me where to find her. I'm really worried for her." I beseeched.

"You don't need to worry about her mister. She is much stronger than you or me or anyone else." she claimed after crossing her arms.

"I know. But... Please. You don't know her like I do. She is my-"

"Wife? I know. And I know what she did to you. And I also know how long had she suffered because of one mistake committed in immaturity." she seethed in fury.

For a minute, my tongue got tied and I didn't know what to say. She knew everything about Clara and me which means she would know what happened to her.

"How long have you known her?" I asked.

At first, she didn't reply but when I asked again, she muttered, "Five years."

"Do you know where she was or what she did during all these years?" I asked. The clouds roared above me and by the sound of wind, it felt like it was going to rain soon.

"It's not my story to tell." she answered and I noticed how her face turned grievous at the question.

"Please Miss.."

"Ava."

"Please Ava. I need to know about her past. I really do." I stated.

Her eyes lingered on my face for too long after which she let out a small sigh. "Do you promise me that you'll try to mend her heart?"

"I promise that there is even one percent chance of us being together, I'll try till my last breath." I answered.

"Fine." she said. "Come inside." Stepping away, she led me inside the apartment and I prepared myself for the answer that has been messing up with my mind for too long now.

_______________________

Revelation time.