The World Turned Upside Down

Let it be known that you asked for this. This is on you, not me.

(Also I had Hamilton on the brain for that title)

***********************************

Carter pulled her hair over one shoulder, leaned over the sink, and spat out a gob of toothpaste.

"We could stay here," Donovan said.

After rinsing out her mouth, Carter straightened, looking in the mirror's reflection. Beyond the open bathroom door, she could see into the bedroom and out onto the balcony where Donovan was leaning against the railing. Despite the chilly air, he was only in a pair of sweatpants.

Around him was a landscape of pine trees. The sun was dropping behind the treetops, turning the edges golden. The forest was so thick that the scent of pine and fresh air filled every corner of the house.

"And what?" she asked. "Leave our careers behind and become forest rangers?"

Still looking at his bare back, she brushed her hair. She kept it down, knowing Donovan liked running his hands through it and playing with the ends.

"Maybe not that but you have to admit it's nice. Just you, me and the quiet."

Though they were only thirty minutes from the city, it felt as if there were all alone and there was a peace about it. Their vacation had been forced upon them, having spent too many months constantly working without a break. The bureau had all but kicked them out the door, saying they needed to take their vacation days.

It was only once the couple had stepped into the secluded cabin that they had realized how much they had been working. The past week had been like their honeymoon all over again, only three years later.

"I thought you didn't like quiet," she said.

"I like it with you," he said, spinning around and smiling at her.

As Carter's lips curled in response there was a loud crack, a shattering of glass and her world froze.

Everything inside her turned to stone, her heart stopped, her face locked in an almost smile, her eyes riveted to the reflection.

A single spot of red bloomed on Donovan's right shoulder.

In a breath, the world roared back into motion as Donovan staggered into the railing, face contorted in pain, and collapsed to the ground. The scream of his name ripped itself from Carter's throat. Before she realized it, she was halfway across the room, her gun in her hand.

She charged onto the balcony and fired. Years of training had already pinpointed the one spot that would be perfect for a sniper. Over the ringing of the gun, she heard the breaking of a window and the squeal of tires racing away. It wasn't until she heard the click-click of an empty chamber that she lowered her pistol.

Spinning around, she dropped to one knee. Blood had already pooled around Donovan and he grimaced, one hand clutching the bullet wound.

Some part of Carter felt herself split in two, her heart bleeding with him. But before she could fall into a black hole of panic, fear, and desperation, she made herself cold. Years of learning how to hide her emotions away came rushing back and she forced everything that threatened to undo her into a vault and slammed the door shut.

She sprinted into the bathroom and yanked towels from their racks. Back on the balcony, she eased one under his shoulder and pressed another on top, placing his hand over it.

"Hold this as best you can," she said, her voice almost robotic in its absence of emotion.

Donovan's movements were weak, but he managed to do as she instructed. Returning inside, Carter went to her phone, but already knew what it would tell her. There was no signal, one of the reasons the week had been so quiet and one of the reasons she cursed this place.