XXVII

Sometimes it shocked me how malevolent this man was

Sometimes it shocked me how malevolent this man was. It was worse to see how he was in the highest position of power in his kingdom, and yet he was greedy enough to try to get my throne.

None of the Bleeders uttered a word. They stared helplessly at the hologram as King Rasmus disappeared from view and the original reporter came back. Herc pushed the off button and the hologram faded into nothing.

"She wouldn't do that would she?" Kora whispered.

Of course not! I thought, but I couldn't say anything to defend my name.

"Queen Antonella doesn't seem like the type to use the Inlustris like that," Marisole spoke up. I turned to her, and she gave me a small nod.

"You never know with those Feulunes," Orion muttered.

It burned inside me to know what happened with Orion. I didn't doubt it was probably a consequence of Father's misjudgment one way or another. It drove me crazy not knowing what it was. If I knew, then maybe I could learn not to make the same mistake twice.

While I knew I would never be a perfect ruler, that was evident over the fact that I was not in the palace where a queen should be and amongst a rogue gang, but that didn't mean I couldn't try to be better for my kingdom. My kingdom deserved a caring ruler. Someone who would fight for them. Someone who would do everything in their power for them.

I wanted to be that kind of ruler.

Maybe my ways of attempting that were a little skewed, Philip would agree, but I had many people to prove wrong and a war to win.

"We definitely need to make a mortal jump," Gaia said. "You know how these searches die down in two days. A day away from here can be our best way of survival."

My spine tingled at the words 'mortal jump.' Did that mean magic? I hoped so. I forgot how used to it I was on the daily basis that hiding it was like concealing my favorite feature. Though the word mortal confused me, I preferred to live in my little fantasy bubble of spells and enchantments.

"That means we have to take a day's trip to the Aetherius Garden to meet the Maior," Herc said. "We start before day break, we can't leave any traces behind."

My brain caught on the word maior. The royals used to have bad blood with the maiors, and while the problem faded away with the years, there was this undisputed statement that royals and maiors didn't mix well. Maiors and royals never sought each other out.

If I had to guess why, it would be because maiors had a vast amount of knowledge, and some royals were too prideful to see that they were wrong. I saw it in Father, someone who enjoyed his title a little too much and hated being questioned. There were many others in high positions of power like him, some even worse. If a maior came and destroyed their ideas, a massacre of the knowledgeable would ensue.