Seven

As soon as you pull into school, Steve takes off down the parking lot. Billy is leaning against his car, smoking, when Steve decks him right in the face. You scream at your brother and run after him. You push Steve out of the way and check on Billy.

He spits blood on the ground and looks up at you. "I'm fine. Babe, babe, seriously. I'm fine."

You turn on Steve. "What the fuck was that for?"

"Are you serious?" He runs a hand through his hair. "He knocked you up, sis. I'm just supposed to be okay with that? No."

"Hit me all you want, man. It won't change anything. I love your sister. I'm gonna take care of her. I'm gonna take care of our baby. And you're just gonna have to deal with it." Billy puts his cigarette to his lips, pauses, looks at your stomach and throws it on the ground, putting it out with his shoe. "I know it's not an ideal situation and we're never going to be friends, but we're all in this together."

Billy holds out a hand and after a minute Steve takes it. They slap each other on the back.

"I'm just glad you're not abandoning them," Steve says.

"I know what that's like. Fuck that."

*

You had to quit soccer, which raised red flags for anyone who knew you. Soccer had been a constant your entire life. Then you stopped drinking at parties, always the DD. Then someone overheard you talking with Robin about the baby. Needless to say, rumors spread like wildfire over the next couple months.

Most people thought you and Billy were just now getting together. That and the fact that nobody could ever imagine Billy having a kid meant nobody suspected he was the father. Everyone assumed you had a one night stand or a secret relationship. And some of these people felt the need to inform Billy of the 'type of girl he was dating.'

"You know she's pregnant, right? Like, for a while now," Carol says to Billy.

He sighs and stares at her. Then his eyes trail over to you. They're wild and bright, but something dark dances deep within them. He's still terrified.

Carol smacks her gum and eyes you. "I just thought you'd wanna know your girlfriend's a mega slut."

The look on Billy's face is unreadable. The muscles in his jaw tighten and you can hear his breathing getting heavier. You're waiting for him to say something, to do something. This silence, this stillness is so out of character for him that it scares you.

"I've gotta get to class," he croaks and walks away. You stare after him, disbelief beginning to boil through you. He hadn't said a goddamn thing.

Carol tisks at you. "Poor little princess just lost her king."

Tommy H. appears just then and wraps an arm around his girlfriend. "Oh, shit. Did Billy just find out some other guy knocked up his favourite girl?" He laughs.

"Aren't you supposed to be his friend?" you ask. Your voice is dangerously close to breaking.

The laughter dies on Tommy's lips. "Yeah, but damn, Harrington. I love to watch you and your brother burn."

*

You find Billy in the parking lot during lunch. He's laying on the hood of his car, jacket open despite the cold, and a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth, burning slowly. He doesn't notice you approach, as his eyes are closed tight against the sun.

Billy let's out a sigh and smoke curls out into the winter sky. You snatch the cigarette from his mouth and throw it on the pavement. He sits up and looks for whoever had disturbed him. When he sees it's you, the anger flaring in his eyes dies along with whatever curse he was about to spit at you.

"(Y/N)," he whispers. His brows knit together and he frowns when he sees the look on your face. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" you spit, voice dripping with venom. "Everyone thinks I'm a fucking whore! You could have told her the baby's yours, but you ran away. You fucking ran away!" You're almost screaming now, and angry tears are running down your cheeks. "All that talk about taking care of us and how much you love me, and you can't even admit you got me pregnant." Your anger is spiraling out of control and you're scrambling desperately to calm down before you say something you regret. "God, Billy, you're such a... You're so fucking-" You scream in frustration and everyone nearby looks at you.

Billy breathes out heavily through his nose. "I'm what?" You turn to leave, but he grabs your arm and jerks you back around. "Fucking say it."

He squeezes your arm and though it doesn't really hurt, it causes you to flinch. Billy instantly lets go and steps away from you. That wild terror is in his eyes again and he looks like he's about to cry.

"Oh god, I'm sorry." He takes another step backward. You step toward him, but he backs up to the car door and opens it. "Stay away from me, (Y/N)."

He gets in and fires up the Camaro. You try to ask him to get out of the car and talk to you, but he doesn't even look at you. When you finally step out of the way, he throws the car in drive and peels out of the parking lot.

By the end of the week, everyone had heard about the confrontation with Carol and your fight with Billy in the parking lot. But apparently no one had heard the bit about the baby being Billy's. Of course they hadn't.

It didn't help that Billy was avoiding you like they plague. You knew it was because he was afraid of hurting you, but everyone else assumed it was because he thought you were pregnant with someone else's baby. He didn't try to set the story straight. And a part of you was starting to hate him for it.