Chapter 35 | Road Trip

𝐍 𝐎 𝐀 𝐇 ' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

Tapping my fingers to the beat of the music that plays from the car radio against the steering wheel. The car cruises along the highway as we are halfway through our eight-hour journey to Lake Tahoe for Liam's wedding tomorrow. Taking my eyes off the road, I glance at the passenger seat, seeing Ava curled up in a ball, sleeping soundly. Even with her hair in a messy bun, that is coming undone, no makeup as well as bike shorts and one of my jumpers, she still looks beautiful. Having left this morning so we can get to the hotel in the afternoon and settle in, Ava fell asleep quickly, considering she hated waking up early in the morning.

Getting a little hungry, I decide it's best to turn off the highway and try to find a diner nearby. After stopping for McDonald's breakfast this morning, it was past lunch and we still have a long drive ahead of us. Pulling into the closest town, I park up in the parking lot of the diner. Turning off the engine, I turn to Ava and shake her a little.

"Ava, baby, wake up. You hungry?" I ask, knowing that would work and I was right. Her eyes open at the mention of food, making me chuckle. "I'm offended you won't wake up to me but food," I tell her and she sticks her tongue out at me.

She stretches in her seat. "How long was I asleep for?"

"Couple hours, I was getting hungry and figured you would be too. I found a diner for us. Good sleep?"

"Hmm, I can drive later if you want to rest for a bit," Ava offers as we get out of the car.

I shake my head. "I'm fine, not all of us need an excessive amount of sleep."

Her heated glare rests on my face. "You're mean when you're hungry."

I laugh as we walk inside the diner. Not too many people sit inside, the quiet atmosphere a nice change to the busy McDonald's from earlier this morning. Waitresses in uniform walk around, carrying plates and drink trays. Tending to the customers who are happily enjoying the food. The diner reminds me of one of those old style ones, as do the outfits of the waitresses. Sitting down in the booth, we pick up the menu.

"Ooh pancakes."

"Babe, you had pancakes this morning," I remind her, and she looks at me, smiling sweetly.

"You can never eat too many pancakes," She argues and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"You're adorable."

"Welcome to Carrie's Diner. What can I get you?" A waitress around our age asks us, or well asks me, considering she isn't even paying attention to Ava. I look at Ava, who rolls her eyes, making me smirk.

"I'll have the American burger and some coffee...babe, how about you?" I ask Ava, placing my hand over hers, showing the waitress I'm off limits and have no interest. Ava smiles, realizing what I'm doing.

"Pancakes, please, with some coffee as well," Ava sweetly smiles. Even though I know she doesn't like the girl flirting with me, she's still super sweet. The girl rushes off as soon as Ava gives her order, clearly annoyed. "Why do you have to be so handsome?" Ava pouts, making me laugh. "I'm gonna put a paper bag over your head."

"If it makes you happy, I will. You realize I'm not the only one who gets attention, you're beautiful baby, and I'm not the only guy that notices."

"No, but you're the only one who matters. And the only one who gets to kiss me," She says, making me chuckle.

"Come sit round her," I tell her scooting closer to the window and she sits in my side of the booth with her legs stretched across mine and her head resting against the booth looking down at our laced hands that I'm rubbing my thumb over. "Did you talk to your dad last night?" I ask her, knowing she talks to him a lot, which is sweet.