Chapter 12 - Tomorrow's Tea

"What's going on?" Lloyd asks as the other ninja take their weapons and cut makeshift masks out of the tablecloth. "How did this happen?"

"Garmadon was at the museum," Zane says. "He melted down the golden weapons into what he calls the 'megaweapon,' which he used to bring the Grundle exhibit back to life."

"Megaweapon is a goofy name," Jay says as he picks up a sword from the pile Lloyd and I brought.

"Hate to break it to you, but none of these blades are going to help you against the strongest dinosaur to ever exist," Lloyd says, folding his arms.

"He's right," Zane says. "Its hide is too thick."

"Well, then what are we supposed to do?" Kai asks. "We already tried Spinjitzu on it--but we're too small."

Lloyd glances at me with a devilish smile. "I know a place with all the answers."

...

I can feel my heart beating hyperactively as Lloyd leads us to Doomsday Comics. He talks to the owner about Grundles and how sunlight is their only weakness. We get a call from Sensei, saying that he's got a plan; we just need to keep the Grundle busy until then.

"It's already getting dark out," Zane says, looking out the window. "It's only a matter of time before the Grundle--"

The entire shop shakes. The ceiling starts to cave, and the walls are practically groaning as the Grundle rips the roof off of Doomsday Comics.

"Oh, sh*t. It's here," Kai says.

The Grundle sticks his head through the opening, and all the civilians in the store run for the emergency exit. For the first time in months, my anxiety takes over, and I stand there frozen.

"Y/n! Come on!" Cole yells, but his voice is so different I don't register the command as an order.

Kai punches through a glass display to get to four lightsaber-looking things, and hands them out to Jay, Zane, and Cole. I run over to Lloyd and drag him behind the counter with the cash register.

"What are you doing?" Lloyd asks me. "We need to help them!"

I shake my hands towards the battle happening in front of us. "There's not much we can do, man. Besides; I can't let you get hurt."

"Why not?"

"What do you mean why not?? You're the green ninja! We need you alive."

He furrows his brow. "Is that all I am to you guys?"

"What? No--"

Lloyd steps towards me. His face gets awfully close as he stares me down. He might be an inch shorter than me but I shrink under his gaze.

"Is that all I am to you?" he asks.

I've never seen him this hurt before. 

"No," I whisper, but he's already backing away. 

He picks up a baseball bat from the shelf behind us and steps up on the counter.

"Hey! You! Giant amphibian!"

"Lloyd!" I hiss, snapping out of my trance. "Get back down here! Also, that's a reptile--"

With a single swing of its tail, the Grundle sends the ninja flying into the wall, and knocks Lloyd off the counter. The six of us cower in the corner, mere seconds away from being devoured.

I throw my arm in front of Lloyd as the beast looms over us. I scold myself for losing my courage today; how could I face the Great Devourer but freeze up at a creature only a quarter of the size?

The bell on the front door of the shop rings as Sensei and Nya crash in on a motorbike.

"Use this!" Sensei cries, tossing a bottle of tea to Kai. 

"What is it?" Kai asks. He frantically pull off the lid as the Grundle rips the counter off the floorboards.

"Tomorrow's Tea! It will turn you all older, and change the Grundle back into a pile of bones."

Kai winds up to throw the uncapped bottle, but Jay leaps up in front of him. "What about Lloyd and y/n?"

"Just throw it already!" I scream. "I'd rather be older than dead!"

"No way! You'll be giving up the rest of your childhood! We can't do that to you guys! It's not fair!"

Lloyd tries to stop me as I spring to my feet. I pull my arm away from him so I can snatch the tea out of Kai's hands and throw it at the Grundle.

The dinosaur starts to spin, and soon it's just a pile of dusty bones. I grip my stomach as a prickling  feeling overtakes me, and within seconds, I black out.

I'm brought back to consciousness minutes later, and nothing feels the same. I'm taller and heavier, plus I feel a lot stronger. It's a good thing my outfit grew with me, because otherwise, I would have torn right through it.

"Woah, y/n!" Cole says, offering me his hand.

I put a sweaty palm to my forehead as I'm helped to my feet.

"Do I look as bad as I feel?" I ask. 

"No! You look—"

"Daaaaaang y/n!" Nya shouts, her hands on her hips in approval. "You look good!"

The dizziness starts to ease, and I'm finally able to look down at myself. I have no complaints.

"Where's Lloyd?" Sensei asks, taking off his helmet.

I turn to where I saw him last, and everyone gasps as he stands up. We all hold in a breath as we wait for him to speak.

"I'm... older," he states, looking down at his hands, and then at the rest of his body. His voice is slightly deeper, but it sounds forced. He holds his arms out away from him, as if afraid to move. 

"No duh," I say, rolling my eyes.

He's taller than me now. I'm about to point it out, but then I notice how generally uncomfortable he looks. He hunches over and slowly squeezes his arms across his chest.

"You okay?" I ask. 

"Mm, hmm," he chokes out, his lips pulled into a thin line. 

"Do you need a bucket? You look like you're about to puke."

We give Lloyd another minute before heading out of Doomsday Comics. He still looks rather ill, but I assume that's only because he's getting used to his new body. He's probably just insecure right now, but as my eyes travel up and down, I can't find anything for him to be insecure about. He looks great. So why does he seem so sickened by this? Does he have an allergy to Tomorrow's Tea that I don't know about?

"Looking good, Garmadon," I say as we walk down the street towards the bounty. I give him a nudge with my hip, hoping to help him gain his confidence back. I hate seeing him this way; in this moment, all I can think about is how much I want to see his smile again.

"Y-yeah," he says, rubbing the back of his neck. "I mean... thanks. You too."

"Are you sure you're okay? You haven't stopped hugging yourself since after the tea. Are you hurt?"

He shakes his head. "I'm fine."

I twist my lip. 

Why is he lying to me?