XXV.

"i'm sorry, miss odessa

"i'm sorry, miss odessa." klaus laid the heretic's limp body on their shared bed. the hybrid pushed her hair out of her face, letting his fingers trace over the skin of her cheek.

elijah leaned against the door frame of the bedroom, seemingly deep in thought. he watched how gentle his brother was with the girl. how even with her being unconscious, he still picked every piece of the wooden bullet out  of her chest as if she could feel the pain.

"you love her, brother?" elijah whispered, inaudible had it not been for their supernatural hearing.

"always." klaus replied just as softly. he tilted his head as he studied her features. "she was never supposed to get hurt."

"isn't that the curse, niklaus? we corrupt the beautiful. we let ourselves love them, even if we know it's selfish. even if we know they'll just end up another tragedy in our story."

☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★

jocelyn flickered her eyes open as she stirred in the bed. her hand subconsciously fell to her stomach, her eyebrows furrowing at the sight of the newly cleaned shirt and healed wound.

humming could be heard in the room. klaus recited by the window, painting away as he sat deep in his thoughts. jocelyn felt her heart drop at the sight of the man.

"you're awake." klaus spoke, keeping his eyes on the painting.

jocelyn threw the blanket off herself, downing the blood bag she assumed klaus had left on the nightstand. the hybrid peaked over at the girl.

"are you okay?" klaus questioned quietly, knowing her ears picked up on his words.

"elijah." jocelyn ignored klaus' words, standing to her feet. "they undaggered him?"

klaus simply nodded, trying to ignore the feeling of jealousy that bloomed in his chest. "there's going to be a dinner tonight. you can come if you'd like, but it's your choice."

"now i get a choice?" jocelyn asked in a petty tone, coming to stand behind the hybrid.

"i was trying to protect you." klaus mumbled, refusing to meet the heretics eyes. "i never meant to hurt you, miss odessa."

"but you did." jocelyn whispered, letting her lips skim against his ear. klaus let out a shaky breath, feeling the warmth coming off the girls body. he went to turn towards her, only to be met with an empty bedroom.

☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★

jocelyn stared blankly at the wall in front of her as she sipped on a blood bag in her hand. the emotions she felt were making her feel as if she was losing her mind. between forgiving her sister, meeting her mother, fighting with klaus, and finding out about her mother's afflictions, she felt overwhelmed, to say the least.