*- 1 - I'll see you around Homeschooled

"Smart, definitely, but too impulsive to be a Ravenclaw. Not cunning enough to be a Slytherin, yet Hufflepuff isn't your place either. I guess that leaves us with... GRYFFINDOR!"

The sudden yell from the Sorting Hat made me jump slightly as it was pulled off my head again. The Gryffindor table to my left started applauding, so I quickly joined them, feeling extremely awkward as a sixteen-year-old between these first-years.

"Welcome to Hogwarts", one girl said and made room for me to sit. She seemed to be about my age.

"Alicia Spinnet", she said and extended her hand.

"Y/N Y/L/N", I gladly accepted and smiled. This was weird. I had never been around so many people before, let alone people my age. It was all a bit overwhelming, yet fascinating and it gave me a feeling of warmth. She introduced me to Katie Bell and Angelina Johnson, who I'd be sharing a room with. They all seemed decently nice. There was not much room for small-talk though, as the sorting ceremony continued.

The headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, gave a speech about the school's rules and the upcoming school year. Apparently the Triwizard Tournament would take place this year and Hogwarts was chosen to host the other schools. I had read about it before. It was a series of dangerous tasks for a grand prize, not something I was immediately interested in. The other schools wouldn't arrive for another two months, so Dumbledore was very vague about all of it.

"So, you were homeschooled up until now? What was that like?" Alicia asked once he had finished his speech and food had appeared.

"It was okay, a lot less exciting than this place", I said and a bright smile appeared on her face.

"Hogwarts is great, isn't it? I'm sure you'll fit right in and you always have us to lean on if you want", Angelina said, a warm smile on her face. These girls made me feel welcome, like I wasn't the odd one out like I thought I was. I tried to act as normal as possible, but I knew it was obvious to them that this was all new to me. Luckily they were polite enough to not point it out.

After supper I followed the girls to our common room and dormitories. This place was absolutely huge and I was sure to get lost at some point. I wasn't sure if I minded that though, the place was stunning. The dorm rooms were beautiful, with wooden furniture, thick red drapes and large windows. Our trunks were already brought up and my uniform and cloak neatly laid on my bed. There was a letter on top of it, which I looked at confused.

"Already got a secret admirer?" Angelina asked and I chuckled.

"I think it would be quite disturbing if Albus Dumbledore was a secret admirer of mine", I said, reading the name of our headmaster on the envelope. They snickered as I opened it. There was just one simple sentence on the neatly folded piece of parchment:

Miss Y/L/N, please come to my office when you read this to choose your NEWT classes.

A.P.W.B.D

"I'll be right back, I need to go to the Headmaster's Office", I said and left the room. I awkwardly walked down the staircase, making room for a couple of younger students hurrying up to their dorms. I felt small when I entered the common room. Gryffindor was the house of courage and bravery, but I didn't feel very courageous at the moment.

As soon as I walked out of the common room I facepalmed myself. How was I supposed to get to the Headmaster's Office without knowing where it was? My mum had told me a lot about Hogwarts, even though she had never let me attend, but knowing the floorplan was a bit out of my reach. How hard could it be really?