23: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 23

When we entered the kitchen, the rest of Jett’s family was just starting to sit down at the table. His mom and dad were seated at both heads of the table while Cameron and his other little brother, Josh were seated beside each other on one side of the table. There were two seats left open next to each other that were opposite of the younger Ryder boys. That’s where Jett and I sat; me on the left and him on the right.

“This smells delicious Mrs. Ryder.” I spoke, acknowledging the wondrous smell of the delicious home cooked meal in front of me.

Mrs. Ryder smiled at me while she grabbed herself a helping of pasta. “Thank you, but dear, call me Sandra.” she replied, passing the pasta dish along to Jett.

I bit my lip in response and nodded shyly.

When Jett was done with the pasta, he passed it to me and I grabbed a rather large helping for myself, not even thinking that I was eating at one of my friends’ houses. After passing the dish to Mr. Ryder I looked back at Jett, who was staring at my plate in amusement. “What?” I asked, squirming in my seat, slightly uncomfortable.

Jett just looked at me and shook his head, chuckling slightly. “I forgot how much you eat Soph, and I still can’t believe that you’re going to eat that much.” he commented, nodding to the plate of penne alfredo that was currently placed in front of me.

I shrugged as a smile tugged at my mouth. “Well, this is my favourite meal so I’m not going to waste any of it.” I replied in a teasing tone.

Jett just rolled his eyes at me before looking for a chicken breast. As he grabbed one, he looked at me while nodding to the chicken. “Do you want to share one?” he asked.

As I looked at the breast I realized that even though I was incredibly hungry, I would probably never be able to finish a whole one with all the pasta that I had taken. “Sure.” I answered, nodding as well.

Jett smiled at me before placing the chicken breast on my plate and cutting it into two fairly even halves. “There, now which one do you want?” he asked, using his fork to point at both halves of the chicken.

I shrugged. “It doesn’t matter to me.” I replied, letting him have his choice of chicken.

Jett rolled his eyes and took the half that was closest to him off of my plate before placing it onto his own.

“Holy shit!” someone exclaimed.