Chapter 44

Song: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

I had all and then most of you, some and now none of you, Take me back to the night we met.

*MUST LISTEN TO SONG WHILE READING*

Cain's POV

I narrowed my eyes. "Find her, as in find her body?"

Katrina looked me in my eyes, carefully choosing her words. "The thing is, I'm not entirely sure she's dead."

Snarling at her, I grabbed her neck with my hand and shoved her into the nearest wall, pinning her against it. She was incredibly fragile, and I remembered that not all she wolves are as strong as my Ares.

"Don't fucking joke about that ever again. She is dead. I felt the bond break. That can only be done through death." I growled at her, my eyes flashing dangerously.

Katrina gasped for air, clawing at my hands. I could only see red. How dare this female come into my home and disrespect my mate like this?

Suddenly, I heard Gwen gasp in the door way. "Fucking, hell, Cain, put her down!" Gwen yelled at me, snapping me out of my bloodlust.

"She is a lying charlatan! She says Ares is alive. It is impossible. I felt our bond break. You felt Jax's bond break," I released my grip from Katrina's neck, sending her crumpling to the ground.

Gwen's eyes widened. "But.. He wouldn't..."

"Tell him, Gwen," Katrina ordered her, standing up and rubbing her neck. I could see the mark from my hand.

"Jax, he can break bonds as his Gift. He's never used it before, and doesn't like talking about it. He wouldn't have..." She winced and her voice trailed off.

I turned to Katrina. "He wouldn't have broken my
mate bond and his. It makes no sense."

Katrina pensively rubbed her chin. "He would have if it meant throwing you off of his trail. You never would have suspected him if his bond was broken with his mate, and neither would she."

"He wouldn't do that!" Gwen defended her mate. "He wouldn't break our bond out of his own free will..."

Katrina looked at her in pity. "I only saw Ares in the cell. Not Jax. If he was forced to break their bonds, then he's either being held in another location, or..." Her voice trailed off, and we all knew the alternative.

"You said you might be able to find her. How?" I demanded, ready to spring into action.

Gwen smiled wisely. "Intuition."

"What the fuck does that mean, witch?" I growled at her.

"It means, we more or less venture into the woods, and I follow my gut on where to go," She explained, as if she didn't sound fucking crazy.

"I'm not crazy, Alpha. It's my Gift. You put so much faith in the Moon Goddess, but you don't trust in the abilities she has granted me?" She questioned, daring me to oppose her.

I sighed. "You are crazy, but you are also right. I will gather my men and we will begin our journey. I have faith in the Moon Goddess."

Katrina rolled her eyes. "Does it look like the Moon Goddess is here? No, but I am. Your faith needs to be in me, Blood Alpha."

"If we find my mate, I will give you anything you want," I promised her.

She shrugged. "I want for nothing. Your mate has done a great favor for many people by killing so
many rogues. Iron Claw has always been cursed with a rogue problem until her. I am doing this for her alone."