XXXVI

When we got back to the motel, it wasn't Gaia we had to worry about, it was Herc

When we got back to the motel, it wasn't Gaia we had to worry about, it was Herc. He sat where I had slept, arms crossed over his chest and a frown over his sharp features. Jax was holding in a laugh on the other side of the room, biting down on his thin lips while looking at both Adonis and I. Clearly, Herc had a problem with Adonis and I going out and coming in a bit later than expected.

"What were you two doing?" Herc asked. His voice had a slight edge, provoking the thin hairs of my arms to stand on end.

"We went out to eat, Herc," Adonis replied. "She hasn't been able to eat well in days. I didn't want her to make a trip back to our land on an empty stomach."

"Well, how kind of you," Herc said through gritted teeth. I frowned and met Marisole's eyes. She was just as confused as I was. "Do not go out alone again. We're in a foreign land. Anything can happen. We have to stick together. We're Bleeders, not tourists."

He stalked out of the room, leaving me further perplexed. Adonis shook his head, but went after him. Everyone stayed put, but I was having trouble understanding Herc's sudden outburst of attitude.

Was he upset over my little blow up the day before?

Perhaps I had gotten on his last nerve, and he was finding any excuse to get angry at me. No matter, he was the one that ended up looking ridiculous in front of his own gang members.

"Alright," Gaia started, trying to clear the tension in the air. "We should start making our way to the portal. We'll miss it if we don't leave now, and I'm guessing no one wants to get stuck here."

"I'll go get Herc and Adonis," Kora volunteered. Gaia nodded as I sat next to Marisole. We stayed in silence for a few minutes before Gaia sat in front of me, gazing her azure eyes into mine.

"I know this jump took a toll on you, Ella. I know it can be exhausting. When we get back, I want you to be prepared mentally for the amount of exertion we are all going to go through. Being in a rogue gang is hard work and requires sacrifice. I know you are trying your best, but we need to see more improvement. We don't want to see you dead."

I quirked a brow. "You sound like Herc."

"Ella, I'm serious. We're being hunted down. Once we get back, we're going after Bachus. Seeing how things are heating up back home, you need to be on top of everything. You cannot hold us back."

I rolled my eyes. I know she meant well, but it was the same underestimating narrative I lived back home. The only difference was that now I was in a gang.

"Gaia, I have never been to Earth, which is why I've been out of it. Tell me. Have I failed you back home? Didn't I successfully make sure there weren't any guards around to get us into the palace at Fortis Crystallum?"

"Anyone could've done that," Orion scoffed from the other side of the room. "There weren't any guards."

"Yeah, right." I rolled my eyes, recalling the moment. All the release. All of their agonizing screams. "I may be new in the gang, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to survive. You know, for being someone that was blessed by a maior, I would've thought you'd know not to jump to conclusions. It makes room for error," I told Gaia.

I stood up from the bed and headed out, ignoring Marisole's calls. I closed the door behind me as the sun rays hit my face. I winced and teared up before walking around aimlessly. I didn't go too far, but I didn't want to face them yet. The thought of having to be with them for who knows how long discouraged me.

I needed to get my priorities straight. While their words hurt more than I cared to admit, I knew I had to keep going. My kingdom was relying on me. I couldn't just pick up camp and go back to the palace empty-handed. Philip would be expecting some grandiose plan to defeat all surrounding kingdoms in their attempt to seize the Inlustris. Just because a rogue, little gang said some hurtful words didn't mean I had to go crying home.

I had a kingdom to protect.

"Hey."

I turned to Orion, leaning on a wall, gazing at me with quizzical, golden eyes.

"What? Are you going to keep on with the 'insult Ella' fad?"

He chuckled. "Nah, I wanted to make sure you were alright." I quirked a brow. "Okay, yeah, I came here to tell you we were leaving."

"That's more like it."

"Seriously though, don't take it personal. Everyone's been through it. It's hard to get used to being in a rogue gang, especially the Bleeders."

"It's not about that. It's about being underestimated. I left home because all I've ever been seen as is a child who can't do anything or doesn't understand anything. I wanted to prove them wrong. And here I am, still being thought less of."

"Sometimes it's a good thing. No one expects anything grand from you. It gives you an opportunity to grow in silence."

"You're right," I whispered as tears welled in my eyes. "It's just frustrating. Sometimes I wish I was born in a different life. Maybe I wouldn't have to go through all of this."

Orion chuckled. "Yeah, me too."

I turned to him as he stared down at his worn out boots. He gazed up at me and shook his head.

"I know Potentia Flamber is like the glittery kingdom in all of Caeleste, but I was poor. My grandmother took care of me until she passed."

My frown deepened.

"If you ever wonder why I hate the Feulunes, it's because of what they did to me."

"I don't mean to pry, but what exactly did King Everit and Queen Selene do to you?" Saying their names again felt odd, I almost wanted to take it all back.

"Let's just say that they destroyed my chances at a normal life."

The thought of my own parents doing that was beyond my comprehension. I knew Father wasn't the best king, but I could never see him as a cruel man. Dense, yes, but not cruel. Much less Mother.

Memories of them playing with me as a child came back, and I fought hard to suppress my tears.

"So, did Queen Antonella have anything to do with it?" I asked. I knew the answer was no, but I wasn't sure if my existence was enough to continue with whatever happened to him.

"Honestly, it was all her parents." He played with his fingers as his frown deepened. "But I don't trust anyone that was raised by either of them. In that sense, I guess I was fortunate."

I was about to ask more, but he straightened up.

"We should go get a move on, Flamber. This is getting way too sappy for my taste."

I nodded and followed him out of the hallway. Thinking of his words gave me a nasty headache. Everything in me wanted to know what my parents did to him. It must have been terrible if he loathed my entire family. I couldn't even think up a situation where my parents did a terrible thing to one of their citizens.

One thing was for sure: if I made it out of this war alive, I would reverse whatever my parents did to Orion.