𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

SITTING DUCKS

        IT HAD BEEN A LONG night, Deborah hadn't left Tommy's side since he had been taken out of emergency care and taken to a private room

IT HAD BEEN A LONG night, Deborah hadn't left Tommy's side since he had been taken out of emergency care and taken to a private room. After the nurses cleaned her face and stitched a small cut above her eyebrow and lip, the distraught women rushed to her lover's side and clutched his hand until he finally woke up the evening after his accident.

When she heard his grunts of pain, Deborah lifted her head from where it lay on the side of Tommy's hospital bed. She looked up at his beaten and bruised face and watched as his eye adjusted to the evening sun streaming in. His other eye stayed shut, to bruised and swollen to open only hours after his beating.

"Thank fuck." Deborah sighed, watching Tommy carefully.

"You're alright." Tommy murmured, cursing quietly as he felt his lip begin to split open again as it just began to heal.

"I'm fine." She assured him, reaching up to brush his dark hair off his forehead. "You though, definitely aren't."

Tommy pulled his hand from her clutch and brushed his fingers against the cut on her forehead and lip, as well as the dark bruise forming on her cheek.

"I almost watched you get raped." He said, voice croaky.

"I almost watched you die." Deborah hit back. "Tommy, I thought you were gone. There was so much blood, I barely recognised you." She whispered, grasping his hand again.

"It's alright, Deb." Tommy whispered, closing his eyes again and relaxing back into the bed. "I'm alive."

"Yeah but not for much longer." She snapped, slapping his arm to wake him up. "You've started a war with Sabini. We're fucked, Tommy."

"I'll deal with it Deb, no need to worry." He muttered, slowly falling back to sleep and ignoring the women's glare. "How did we get out of it?"

"That would be because me, Mr.Shelby."

Deborah turned towards the door, where Campbell had just walked through. His stupid cane clicked against the floor with every step he took, causing Deborah's head to pound.

"Ah, you paid extra for daylight. The racketeering business must be booming." Campbell taunted, standing at the end of Tommy's bed. "Are you not going to thank me for saving your life?"

"Pass my cigarettes?" Tommy pointed his finger to the small bedside table.

Campbell walked over and grabbed the packet, but paused before he handed it to the injured man. "Three nights ago, at the co-operative stables in Montague Street, there was a murder. A man named Duggan." He dropped them on Tommy's chest. "The Oxfordshire constabulary found his body in a shallow grave."

"I need to piss." Tommy bluntly said. "Deb, give me a hand."

"Tommy." She hissed in warning.

As Deborah began to stand up and help him, Campbell pressed his cane into Tommy's chest and pointed his riffle at Deborah. She knew exactly who the man was that the Inspector was talking about, she had watched Tommy kill and burry him.