Chapter 25

~the Emperor himself~

Looking at things from a different perspective, Oris supposed that she should be proud that she was the only bride candidate given a chance at seeing Hermes' face before the selection even began.

Granted, her entrance into the palace had not been as low-key as she had planned or expected, the fact that there were no chains around her wrists was a pleasant surprise.

The fact that her status now hovered between one of prestige and that of a criminal did not bother her.

She had not been detained for long; she had not been detained at all if the short ride from the palace gates to the royal court was not counted.

Yes, the incident had been reported to the Emperor himself and he had chosen to deal with it.

How kind. Oris didn't know who she preferred to handle her case, Hermes or his Queen Mother?

"On your knees," the guard in charge of escorting her to her hearing shoved her from behind the moment her feet crossed the threshold of the court.

Immediately, all the seated officials turned to look at her. She could tell that they recognized her and fortunately that worked in her favor.

She got on her knees as asked and placed her left hand behind her right, bringing her thumbs together so her spread fingers resembled that of a bird's wings. She pushed both hands flat against her chest and bowed till her forehead touched the carpeted floor.

She said nothing and remained bowing, knowing that though she had her seen him, she was in the presence of Hermes, the Emperor of the New World.

Not showing respect would get her killed but anything more that a bow of greeting would be a mistake. She had not been given permission to rise or speak, so she would do neither—not that she was itching to be assertive and make the first move.

The walk up the nearly countless steps leading to the royal court itself had tired Oris out. It had also given her time to think, time that was very essential for someone the Emperor's mother was in the mood to kill.

It was times like these that she was glad that she had come to the palace with no expectations. As long as she and her four maids lived to tell the tale, she was alright with any outcome.

"Your Majesty," she heard someone fall on their knees beside her and immediately recognized Faeradaigh's voice.

He is here at last, she thought, while wondering where he had kept Mayree and the rest.

"Dai, this is the beauty you journeyed to acquire?" the Emperor said, and it took a while before Oris' realized that he was addressing the chubby eunuch.

What a clever pet name.

"Yes, yes," Faeradaigh answered without hesitation. "From the fiefdom of Inqa."

Inqa? I was so close to the border. . . Would Rodholf have been able to find if I had waited patiently? she wondered.

"And she is the last one?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. Now that she has arrived, the selection can start."

"Then what is she doing here?"

Oris almost laughed at the question, needing to bite her tongue to restrain herself. Is he feigning ignorance? Or is he truly clueless? How could the Emperor not know what was happening at the gates of his own home? How could he not know when guards have been mobilized under his nose?