Hack It

There were many choices that Kara could use to distract herself from the nagging pit in her stomach. It's not as if she didn't have many options, she was supergirl. She had friends. A family. After collecting her thoughts, sitting peacefully on that roof overlooking the skyline, she flew home. When she stuck her key in the lock, she knew someone was in there. Someone had unlocked her door, either with tools or with one of the two spare keys. Kara used her X-ray vision, and let out a sharp breath when she saw Alex and Winn, standing around her dinner table. The tension went out of her muscles and she opened her door."You know, next time it might be smart to give me a heads up when you drop by," she spoke, closing the door behind her. Winn exchanged a glance with Alex, before walking towards Kara and giving her a quick hug. 

"Well, it's nice to see you too." That brought a smile to Kara's lips.

"Yeah sorry Kara, but we figured it might be a nice surprise." Alex moved, pulling a brown paper bag out of her backpack. 

"I brought doughnuts!" She offered, holding them out in front of her. Her sister smiled as she watched Kara's eyes crinkle, remembering the very first time the two of them had doughnuts together.

A few weeks after Kal-el had dropped Kara off with her family, it was spring break. Their mother had been working late every day, and it was clear that she was unable to take free days. Elisa had decided to soften the blow with doughnuts. "What's that?" Kara had asked, curiously gazing at the circular shapes on the rainbow serving tray. Alex managed to set her disappointment aside for her odd, Kryptonian sibling. "They're doughnuts. It's basically fried batter. Try one, I'm sure you'll like it." Kara took a chocolate glazed doughnut in her small hands, carefully biting into it. Her eyes had sparkled with joy, and for the rest of the day, the siblings tried to make their own doughnuts.".. legally do that." Alex came back to the moment and saw that Winn was showing Kara something on his laptop. She moved to the kitchen, plating the doughnuts, then offering the others something to drink.

"Yeah, coffee, please. Do you think J'onn would try to kill me if I used the DEO server to get into some hospital files?" Alex raised her eyebrows at Winn as she placed the doughnuts on the table. 

"Yes. Then he would find technology to bring you back and kill you again." His face fell, but he knew she was right. He couldn't do that. "Yeah... I wish though, it would be a big help."

Kara's mood fell, and she grabbed a doughnut as she watched Winn's screen.

"You can do it, right?" She spoke, her mouth full. Alex couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah, I know I can. But I do feel like we should wait until another gunshot flower appears. I can prepare the code so it won't take that long when the moment is here." Winn took his coffee, before scrambling to put it on the table. "Aah! That's hot!" He blew on his fingers with a pained expression. Kara laughed as he fixed her up with a grumpy glare.

"I know Kara's immune to heat, but how did you bring me that?!" Alex spread her hands, careful with the other mugs in her hands. "Genetic adaptation? Maybe it's just practice." She handed one to her sister.

"It's true, I've seen Eliza take so many items out of the oven without gloves growing up. And sticking her hand in pots," Kara added, watching her glasses steam up thanks to the tea in her hands.

Alex sat down across from the two of them, watching as Winn prepared his code, and Kara eagerly watched him work, not understanding a single command. It was nice to see her have hope again. She wondered if this would be a good time to tell Kara that she had not found her soulmate yet either. The dates she had gone on were just with people who enjoyed fooling around. There were some unwritten rules about it. Those who participate in this dating system are people who want to find new friends and have some practice before they meet their soulmate. One thing that would definitely be a turn off for your mate, is being a terrible kisser. But if she told Kara all that, she would never hear the end of it. She knew Kara was a hopeless romantic. Which is why she left her in the dark.

"Before I save this code, are you absolutely sure you want to hack hospital files as a way of finding your soulmate?" Winn's fingers floated over the keyboard, his eyes showing concern as he waited for Kara's reply. She fiddled with her empty mug, her expression quite neutral.

"Yes. I want to meet them. It's important to me." Winn turned his head to Alex, a clear question on his face. With a quiet sigh, Alex nodded. 

"This soulmate stuff is a way of making Kara feel like she belongs on earth. It's easier to believe when she has met her soulmate."

With a few extra clicks, Winn stored the code and the project was ready. 

"It's saved." Winn shut his laptop and stored it in his bag. For a moment, they were all silent, contemplating the illegal actions they were prepared to take.

"Now that that's done, let's go do something fun," Kara spoke. An upbeat smile reappeared, and the glint in her eyes suggested that she had an activity in mind. 

"Hold on little Danvers, what are you thinking?" The suspicion in Winn's voice caused her to giggle. She got up, putting the mugs in the dishwasher. 

"Yeah, what's the thing we're about to do?" Alex asked, the same amount of caution in her words. She leaned on the kitchen counter, a slight tilt to her head.

"Oh relax! I just thought we could go play mini-golf! I heard about a new park opening up this week." "And who better to test it out with than an IT-guy, and a government agent?" "Hey! I'm more than just an IT-guy!" Winn grumpily replied to Alex. Kara smiled."Yeah, you're a great computer nerd overall. And yes, let's try out the mini-golf park with a team of-" She drummed her fingers on the counter as if she was announcing something special."Supergirl, the guy in the chair, and vice-director Danvers!" She spoke with so much enthusiasm that neither one could resist. With their coats on, they walked to the minigolf place. 

"We should add persuasion to the list of powers you have." Winn smiled at the sisters. Alex agreed wholeheartedly. 

"You wouldn't believe how many times she manages to take the last dumpling when we order take-out."

Kara smiled, proud of her achievements. 

"You always agree to give them to me though."

"Sometimes you threaten to laser me!" Winn laughed as they arrived at their destination. "It's at times like this when I'm grateful I don't participate in the Danvers sisters take-out nights." "Oh please, you're still missing out." With that statement, Alex stepped forward and asked for three mini-golf clubs.