Chapter 93: The Mortal Realm - Bleak Night

The reason why I'm going to Bleak Night isn't because I want to see him.

Just want to make that clear. I need to fully realize this myself.

Why didn't he let my family know? Also a part of me is truly worried for the people of Bleak Night. They were savagely attacked by Wicked Mist.

Ming Yan, Gu Yi... I wonder how they're doing?

It's almost dark now as I float through the outer wall of Bleak Night.

Although Bleak Night was attacked not too long ago, it seems they were able to recruit more followers and the entire place looks impeccably clean. No blood stains, no broken paper windows or unorganized furniture.

New faces on the servant team could be seen walking from place to place. One particularly young girl holds tightly onto a basket of clothes. I recognize those garments. Outlandish and elegant, I remember the nights I would stay up patching and sewing together those clothes for that demon.

I hate myself!

"Hmph! Of course, he's already found another servant to take my place. Servants are replaceable to him after all."

"When they increased the pay to become a follower, I joined but the atmosphere here is incredibly chilling." I overheard a lowly follower complain.

"Right? Not only do we have to avoid Sect Leader, we can't even let Lord Wu catch us in his path!" The other joins.

"I freeze when I'm within ten feet of Sect Leader. Ruchen made the mistake of looking him in the eyes and was taken out for a beating."

"That serious? Guess we gotta make ourselves scarce."

I talk out loud after hearing their conversation. "Huh? Looks like that demon is depressed after Bleak Night's devastating loss."

I float around the familiar place. Almost nostalgic about the times when I was a servant here. So proud about what I contributed, how I would slave away for a moment with that demon. Oh my God, why was I such an idiot?!

"Dark Fall Lake... This was the pavilion I practiced cultivation. All wasted!"

I pound my fist on the stone table. How could I have been so slow at cultivating? Just my luck to be taught by Wu Jing, that spoiled kid. I won't forget that day when he stabbed me in the back.

I remember it all. That day when I fought with Zhao Bao Bai and he stabbed me for his own ridiculous gain. In the end, Zhao Bao Bai perished without the chance of reviving his father. And after all these years, he's still hurting from that. Perhaps guilt-ridden for delivering my last blow. Thus why he stuck to that demon shamelessly.

I hear a ceramic clack on the table and turn around to see Wu Jing with a wine jar and cup in hand.

He pours himself a cup and drinks. I watch him solemnly wrinkle his eyebrows.

"Rong Xin, this one's for you." With another cup filled, he pours it onto the dirt outside the pavilion fence.

A ghost cup surfaces in my hand. He's offered the wine to me.

"What? Think this cup of wine is going to appease me?"

"I'll never be able to rid the guilt nor be able to beg you for forgiveness because I am unworthy." He takes a gulp of wine from the jar. Its colorless liquid spills down his chin.

He rambles on, "Can you believe it? I used to hate you. Thought you were the worst scum on the face of the earth."

Wow. And they say don't speak ill of the dead.