iv. BAKING

For once, the Avengers facility was relatively quiet. Almost everyone was out on a mission, meaning that you and your boyfriend of almost one year were the only ones left.

"Bucky! I'm bored," you whined. The two of you were currently sitting together inside a huge pillow fort which you'd constructed using every single cushion and blanket you could find inside the building. You'd been inside the fort for a number of hours, doing nothing but eating snacks, watching movies and cuddling.

Bucky thought for a few seconds before he came up with an idea. You watched him as he began to explain it, thinking about how adorable he was and admiring the way he gestured with his hands as he spoke, the way his eyes crinkled when he laughed...

"Y/N, are you listening to me?"

You snapped out of your little daydream and giggled quietly. "Nope, sorry. What were you saying?"

Bucky chuckled as he repeated himself. "I said, since you're bored, we should try something new... like baking! We could make a cake for the rest of the team and surprise them when they get back in a few hours."

You immediately agreed to this idea, smirking to yourself as Bucky grabbed your hand and pulled you to the kitchen. He had never seen you try to cook before, so he didn't know that you were absolutely terrible at it.

After searching for a recipe that sounded basic enough, you helped Bucky find all the ingredients.

"Okay, it says that our first step is to pre-heat the oven." You and Bucky both walked over to the oven and looked at the various buttons and dials. After a few seconds of confused silence, Bucky glanced at you.

"Y/N, do you know how to do this?"

"Um... nope."

"Yeah, me neither."

Eventually, the two of you just decided to press random buttons until the oven switched on. The next step sounded relatively simple – you just had to mix flour, eggs, butter, sugar and baking power.

"Hey, we might actually be able to do this part!" Bucky laughed as he attempted to break an egg... which resulted in him accidentally dropping it on the floor.

By the time all the ingredients were finally inside the bowl, the kitchen had never been messier. There was at least five broken eggs on the floor and flour covered the counter as well as both you and Bucky. As if things couldn't get any worse, you turned on the electric mixer and proceeded to splash cake batter everywhere.

"Y/N!" Bucky yelled, rushing over to switch off the mixer while you couldn't stop laughing at his shocked expression.

Impulsively, you grabbed a handful of the gloopy, lumpy failed cake batter and threw it at Bucky. Needless to say, he retaliated, and this started a war between the two of you. The batter ended up in your hair, all over Bucky's shirt and also on the walls.

"Okay, truce!" You shouted as you watched your boyfriend pick up the bag of flour so he could dump it on your head. He shook his head, smirking, and walked towards you...

"What the hell is going on here?"

You looked up to see the rest of the team standing in the doorway, presumably back from their mission. All of them looked either surprised or confused. You glanced at Bucky for a second and the two of you immediately began to laugh uncontrollably while trying to explain yourselves.

You both promised to tidy the mess and everyone left you to it. Eventually, everything was under control and you were quite tired from all the cleaning. You hugged Bucky tightly and held his hand as the two of you finally went to get ready for bed. However, you'd forgotten that you weren't quite finished with all of the cleaning yet...

"Y/N, BUCKY, WHERE ARE ALL MY PILLOWS?"