xxii. suzie doesn't copy

chapter twenty-two
suzie doesn't copy

 "WILL, CAN YOU JUST pass the syrup?"

 "Hold on,"

 "Will!"

 "Just — hold on!"

 "It's been three minutes! Why does it take you so long to pour syrup on your pancakes?!"

 "It's perfection!"

 "That doesn't even — what?!" Rue exclaimed, running a hand through her hair. She was hungry, and she wanted to top off her buttery pancakes with the syrup before she dug in.

 "Pancakes are perfection?" Eleven asked from beside her, also waiting for Will to finish with the syrup so she could pour it on her pancakes.

 Hopper had stopped by to drop El of before he went to work. Joyce took her in with open arms, and it was easier, since the party was meeting up later for Dustin's welcome home celebration.

 Rue shook her head, "No, it doesn't take perfection. Just pour the syrup and move on!" she glared at Will, who laughed at the way Rue got so angry when she wasn't fed.

 However, Will's laughs got cut short when the syrup bottle flew out of his hands. He looked up to see El smiling innocently at him, pouring herself the sugary sweetness on her pancakes before passing it to Rue, who rose her eyebrows mockingly at her brother.

 Jonathan suddenly burst out of his room, causing the three kids to look up from their breakfast to find him struggling to put on his shirt. He mumbled short "good morning's" at the trio, trying to walk towards the front door.