Chapter 14: Traitor's Ambush

Dio Brando was fighting for his life. He figured that since the Stone Mask had been awakened by blood, this 'Pillar Man' would be the same way. Plus, he assumed that, like him, he needed blood to survive. So as soon as he found a human in the nearby village, a young woman who appeared nineteen or twenty years of age, the young vampire used his charm on her, then she willingly went to the ancient cave and allowed Dio to sacrifice her. As soon as Dio drained the young woman of all her blood, the man in the pillar woke up! Dio tried speaking to it, but nothing worked. It seemed as though the Pillar Man, whom he affectionately named Santana prior to waking him, was a dullard. But in no time at all, Santana seemed to figure out the English language, simply by listening to Dio! The vampire was amazed by Santana's intelligence, but amazement soon turned to fear when, after absorbing several of Dio's zombies into him, the Pillar Man turned on Dio, the man who awakened him from such a long slumber!

Dio tried reasoning with him, but Santana did not seem to have any respect for him at all. The ancient being went so far as to call Dio an insect, infuriating the blonde Englishman. Dio tried fighting him, but nothing seemed to work. His only attack against Santana was his heated eye fluids that could be fired from meters away. Dio knew that if he got too close to this man, he'd absorb him just like the zombies.

"This is ridiculous! Me, Dio Brando, forced to go on the retreat from a creature such as this! But...It's my only chance. I have a feeling the only thing this thing is weak to is the sun, like me, if those carving on the wall meant anything. Or perhaps JoJo's cursed Hamon could do the trick, but he's nowhere to be found ever since that night in Windknight's Lot. As if I'd ask him for assistance anyway! I don't need that bastard's help for this!" Dio cursed to himself, then turned around to fire another eye laser in Santana's direction. The Pillar Man did not even attempt to dodge it, he took it directly in the chest and continued running as if it never happened.

"Damn it!" Dio cursed and continued running. He leapt over a creek and caught the sight of the horizon slowly but surely lighting up. "Sunrise! Perhaps I can trap him in the Sun's rays and kill the freak! But how? Surely, he knows the dangers of sunlight, too." The Englishman growled as he ran. "If I can just get back to that place! That place! I'll be fine if I make it back!"

The vampire leapt over a fallen log and his eyes widened when he saw a familiar road. "Yes!" As soon as Dio made it to the road, he hung a right and went into the village he'd conquered the previous night. He ran into the center of town and pointed in the direction that Santana would be coming from. "Zombies, seize that man and don't let him go!"

Dozens of zombies streamed out of the houses, their mutilated bodies and decomposing faces making Dio cringe. He hated the zombies, but they served him completely and didn't come with all the complications that humans do.

Santana was in eyesight now, sprinting towards the small village in only his ancient loincloth. "Now, my zombies! Hold him in place until the sun rises!" Dio commanded and turned his head enough to see that sunlight was streaming over the horizon, getting closer and closer with each passing second. The Englishman quickly ducked inside the house he'd been hiding from the sunlight in for the past two days. It was also the house where he kept the only surviving members of this town for Dio to use as food.

Dio hid by the window so that sunlight wouldn't come into contact with him and peeked out it. The zombies were so far rather successful with their assignment. Two dozen of them jumped on Santana and were holding him still, but the zombies' numbers began to decrease. He must've been absorbing them to get free. However, it was too late already. Warm sunlight washed over the many bodies, and all of them instantly disintegrated until...

Dio's eyes widened in alarm, "That's not possible...!" He exclaimed and tightened his fists. Where the zombies had piled up on Santana was nothing but the stone form of the Pillar Man himself. "He... He can turn himself to stone at will to protect himself from the sunlight! Damn it! Now all he has to do is wait for nightfall and he'll give chase again! Unless..." Dio turned to the three surviving humans from the village.