twenty-five

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I knew that if I appeared to be calm, it would help ease Draco's nerves, as well as my own. Voldemort wouldn't suspect that I didn't want to be here.

I squeezed Draco's shoulder. His face was emotionless, but he was shaking. I could see his lip slightly quivering, and I pulled him into a quick hug before we walked out of the manor.

Bellatrix stood in front the the door, shrieking at the other Death Eaters.

"You incompetent fools! How hard is it to wait?"

Draco flinched as her voice pierced the silent air. We joined the long line of Death Eaters and waited.

Voldemort walked out and we were all silent. Bellatrix fell into line with us.

"Tonight, I am going to kill the boy. You all will distract the members of the Order. Approximately fifteen people will be trying to deceive us. Six other people will be disguised as Harry Potter. Your job is to find the real one, alert me, and stop the others from finding me."

"Yes, my Lord," we all echoed.

I waved to Draco as the rest of us hopped onto the brooms set on the ground and started flying. The Malfoys weren't allowed to come on this mission. Lucius couldn't, because he didn't have a wand. Narcissa wasn't a Death Eater. Voldemort thought that Draco would just slow us down.

"L/n! I want you up here. You could be of use," Voldemort yelled. He didn't have a broom, which freaked me out for a minute. He was flying on his own.

I led my broom up to the front of the group, stopping next to the Dark Lord as we glided upwards.

"When we see the boy, do not kill him. Let me do that. You're just here to eliminate any threats to me."

"Of course, my Lord."

We flew through the air in mostly silence. We reached the city, and as we were flying, passed over houses, parks, trees, and random other Muggle things. There were lights on, and it made me nostalgic for my family and my house.

I looked back at the huge group of Death Eaters, expecting to see the same huge group. However, I only saw two hooded wizards. With a wave of my wand, I had a hood as well. The two wizards flew in front of me and the Dark Lord.

I expected him to flip out and yell at them, but he didn't. In fact, he fell back a bit. "Go with them."

I followed the two Death Eaters, fear entering my thoughts.

Would I have to kill someone? What if I died?

A bright light was shining in front of us, and with a better look, I saw Potter and Hagrid. With small pops, a large group of Death Eaters—at least thirty—appeared all around them.

Someone yelled, and soon everyone was shooting the Killing Curse at the motorbike Potter was in. It rolled over, and things started falling from the bike. Potter was dangling on for his life. The bike flipped upright as Crowley shot a Killing Curse at Potter's owl. It fell to the bottom of the cage, dead.

Potter started screaming as the bike zoomed away. Death Eaters, in groups of three, flew away in the direction of the other Order members.

Three other Death Eaters and I were now following Potter. Voldemort had disappeared from sight, but I'm sure he was close by.

We followed them as quickly as we could. Potter shot a spell at us, but we all dodged it. Suddenly a brick wall emerged from the back of the motorbike; two of the Death Eaters and I swerved to avoid it, but the fourth crashed and fell to the ground. Someone followed him, but I kept following them.

Once there were three of us again, we sped up, avoiding any spell or trap that could slow us down. We shot curses at Hargrid and Potter, but nothing happened.

With a sound of screeching metal, purple flames shot from the exhaust pipe and the motorbike exploded forward, but we continued to follow it.

"Impedimenta!" Potter yelled, shooting the middle Death Eater square in the chest. He stopped as if he had run into a wall, and I almost flew into him. I swerved and shot a spell at Potter. He ducked, and almost fell out of the bike.

Something small was falling, and Potter hit it with a spell. It exploded, hitting me and the other remaining Death Eater. We both began falling from the sky.

As I was falling, I screamed, "It's the real one!" and watched as a shadow over us, pointing his wand at me. My broom was immediately repaired, and I was rising again.

Voldemort and I flew up, chasing after Potter again. Voldemort was still flying unattended, and his wand was in his hand. He fired Killing Curses at Potter.

Potter and Hagrid started falling through the air, the motorbike broken. As I shot spells at Potter, Hagrid jumped out of the bike and landed on my broom, screaming. We tumbled through the air, and all I could do was try random spells.

A cushioning spell seemed to work fine for me, and I hit the ground softly. My broom, however, was crushed into millions of tiny pieces.

I cursed under my breath. I had no clue where I was. I heard Voldemort scream, and flashes of green and red lights were flying through the air, but nobody else fell within my view. I couldn't even see Hagrid.

A hooded figure slowly approached me.

"L/n?" said a low, gravelly voice.

I looked up at the figure. "Get on here, you prick. The Dark Lord isn't going to be happy."