01 - the storm

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"How much damage do you think Agatha will cause?" I manage to mumble in between bites of popcorn and Sarah glances from the movie to me. "Not sure but my dad said it's supposed to be bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we woke up and there was a tree in our kitchen."

"That bad huh. Well let's hope not, I'm afraid my mother might reek havoc on half the neighborhood if our internet shuts off." I joke and a smile spreads across my best friends face.

I had been friends with Sarah since sixth grade when
I was sat next to her in class. We immediately hit it off and we have been inseparable since. Today was no different. She had invited me over earlier today after we had helped some people in our neighborhood prepare for the storm. I didn't really feel like going home so instead I was just going to stay at Sarah's for the night, it's not like it really mattered to my parents anyway. I'm pretty sure they didn't even notice I was missing.

"I can see your mom doing that." Sarah laughed which made a small smile crack across my face. "I swear if you don't get that tree out of our house I'll do it myself!" She scrunched up her nose in an attempt of mimicking my mother which just sent us both into a fit of laughter.

"Why is that something I can actually see her saying!" I manage to get out in between laughs as Sarah nods, gasping for air. "I don't know, cause your parents are lunatics? In a good way though, I swear. They get shit done."

I feel my smile fade slightly as I'm pulled back to yesterday. "Why are you such a disappointment Delilah!?" My father sighs right before his hand connects with my face. "It should have been you that day. You and I know that."

"Hey are you alright Li? You spaced off for a second there." I hear Sarah say and I push the memory away before meeting her worried gaze. "Yeah I'm fine. Just a little tired. Do you think we can turn the movie off and go to bed?"  I ask and I can tell she isn't buying into my lie but she nods anyways, turning off the tv.

After a few minutes of silence I feel her turn to me before whispering, "You know you can trust me with anything right?"

"Yeah I know." I whisper back but deep down I know it's a lie. If Sarah knew the things that were swirling around in my head, god knows what she would do.

The sun was the first thing that I saw when I opened my eyes the next morning, followed quickly by Sarah's tanned arm right in my face. "Sarah get off of me or I will push you off of this bed." I threaten, my voice raspy from just waking up. "Sorry," I hear her groan before her arm disappears back to her side of the bed and I sit up.

"I should head out, my mom is expecting me home soon." The lie slips off my tongue so easily and Sarah nods, still half asleep. "Okay, tell the Covey's that I need you back later today. We're going to be saving some mice."