Chapter 7 Let Down Your Hair

Paityn woke up a few weeks later and she smiled a bit. She sat up getting out of bed and going over to Lyra who was now walking like a pro and was considerably bigger, no longer needing a bottle. Lyra meowed at Paityn and Paityn smiled. 

"Morning Lyra. Breakfast?" She asked. Lyra responded by rubbing up against her leg and Paityn grabbed down some wet food for her putting it on a plate and giving it to her. Lyra began taking huge mouthfuls and swallowing it. "Don't eat that fast! Slow down you'll choke!" Paityn laughed beginning to eat her cereal. Her phone started ringing and she answered it. "Burkhardt."

"Hey Pait, it's me, Nick," Nick answered. 

"Don't even say the word homicide I am eating food. I swear..."She started. 

"We got a homicide," Nick said. 

"Dammit, Nick. Lost my appetite. Where do I need to meet you?" She asked. 

"Just meet us at the station. I'll see you soon." Nick said. 

"Got it. See you soon." Paityn said hanging up. She stood up gently patting Lyra on the back making her purr a bit. "Gotta head to work. I'll see you soon." She said walking out to her car and getting in. She backed up out of her driveway to go to the station.

~~~

When she got there Nick was getting on a four-wheeler. She looked at him shocked. 

"Dude, I can't ride in one of these," Paityn said. 

"Well, then get on mine," Nick said. 

"Is the captain going?" She asked. 

"No. And even if he was I'm sure he wouldn't let you go with him," Nick said smiling. 

"Screw you, Nick." She laughed getting on behind him gently wrapping her arms around his stomach to keep her secure. 

"Hold on tight," Nick said starting it and going and Paityn just stayed in her place. 

~~~

They started up the path with Hank following behind them. The road was dirt making it extremely bumpy. Eventually, they parked behind a bunch more four-wheelers and got off. 

"Thank god. I'm so glad I don't get motion sick." Paityn said making Hank laugh behind her as they walked through the forest to where the body was. 

"Ooh, that is one broken neck," Hank said. "WIth those abrasions, they probably used a pretty hefty rope." 

"Well, what do you know? It's Delmar Blake." One of the DEA agents said. "We've been looking for him for three years." 

"What'd he do?" Paityn asked. 

"Just about everything. We knew he was moving drugs, we just didn't realize he was growing them." He said standing up and leaving. Nick kneeled and took out a baggie taking a hair sample from the man's neck. 

"Hair?" Hank asked. 

"It's obviously not his," Nick said. 

"Think he's got a girlfriend around here?" Hank asked. 

"Maybe. Who knows maybe he has children too. You never know." Paityn joked and Hank rolled his eyes. 

"This is the Paityn we missed," Hank said. They started walking back now that they had evidence. 

"Got anything for us?" Nick asked. 

"Yeah, it's kinda weird, there's not a bit of food left. No sleeping bags, no blankets. Got millions of dollars worth of marijuana plants out there and not one of them was taken." The agent said.