Chapter Ninety-Six | Third World

[ 96 ]

"You didn't mention anything about Advanced Rotters!" A man in the crowd shouted above everyone else. Upon hearing his complaint, people agreed by joining in hurling abuse at the high-ranking officials that stood ahead of them.

Tensions had began to simmer as soon as the vehicles came to a halt at one of the safe-points along the route. It was the largest of all the secured areas, managing to sustain all those members of the public for an extended amount of time. But that was only if they kept their nattering to a minimum.

"We elected not to tell you all, because you would have made the unwise decision of staying behind at the safe-zone." The Supreme Commander responded calmly, like a person who wasn't being screamed at by over three hundred individuals. "Don't misunderstand though, we have no intentions of having you fight them; hence why we have stopped here. This is where you shall remain for the time it takes for our soldiers to take care of the Advanced Rotters, and secure the city for us to move in."

No one could think of anything to say in return, which the old-soldier used to his advantage. The Supreme Commander visibly softened the natural frown on his face, "Our main priority is ensuring everyone's safety. You won't be left here alone, there has already been a team allocated to remaining behind to protect you." He promised before going on to say, "All I ask, is that you keep calm. You have not been abandoned, nor will you ever be. I stick by my promise of ensuring you all a better quality of life in the Hydro-City, you just need to help us make this final jump. While you are here, make sure you get some rest and some grub. But most importantly, look out for one another and ensure you keep quiet. We are still amidst an apocalypse, they will always be attracted to noise."

After appeasing the crowds, the Supreme Commander stepped out of the room with some other officials. One of them being, his son. "You need to stay here." Niklas advised to the surprise of the older man.

"You think I can't handle it?" Mathias grinned, but his son's serious expression didn't budge.

"Even if you tell them not to panic, they will do. Sooner or later, someone will freak out and those soldier's left behind won't be able to contain it. People listen to you, they're intimidated by you— which is what they need right now. They need to be told what to do. So, you need to leave this next part to me and the others." Niklas stated clearly.

"I'm the most experienc—"

"You are, I know that." Niklas cut him off, "Which is why you know that I'm right. We've come so far now, we can't leave anything to chance. And for those of us who are going onwards, leaving behind families, it will be reassuring to know that our Supreme Commander will be watching over them."

"He's not wrong, you know." Dr. Aksel admitted as he overheard their conversation. He walked over and came to a stop alongside both men. He looked as tired as everyone felt, which was because he was the person everyone perceived as the 'friendly face', so they brought all their worries and concerns to him. There was only so many times he could put on an optimistic attitude.

But because he knew the two soldiers very well, he was able to speak his mind. "People are nervous, and they do stupid things because of it. They need someone to keep them in check, and other than pricking them with needles, I'm not much of an authoritarian."

The Supreme Commander, a man Aksel knew to be hugely protective over his son, was divided. He wanted to join his men and aid the struggle of fighting off Advanced Rotters, but he also wanted to go in order to keep a close eye on Niklas. On the other hand, he knew more than anyone, that what they were saying was true.