chapter 35

Billie's POV

Beep..Beep..Beep.

The continuous beeping of the machine next to the hospital bed filled my head with pounding and pinching pain.

I flew home a day early to see Katherine, but seeing her made things ten times harder.

Her face was beaten up and she had bruises all over her hands and arms.

The police report hasn't been put in yet, because there is no "proof" that she was hurt by another person. Yaknow, except for the bruises everywhere. Fucking twats.

She doesn't know I'm here. The doctors pretty much keep her doped up on pain killers every second of the day, which just makes her numb and sleepy.

I post a quick picture of her on snapchat, but realize it was probably invasive and inappropriate to post, so I deleted it maybe five minutes later

I post a quick picture of her on snapchat, but realize it was probably invasive and inappropriate to post, so I deleted it maybe five minutes later. Which didn't do much, everybody was already commenting about it on fanpages and in my tagged photos, and hers too.

"Are you Billie?" A tall man in a blue police uniform says, walking into the cold hospital room.

I reply with a nod, as he gestures his hand for me to get up, "Follow me ma'am."

I stand up, leaning over to kiss Katherine's hand before leaving.

He leads me across the hospital, into a room that's filled with only a table and chairs. I didn't even know they had these in hospitals.

"You're Katherine Jaymary Smith's girlfriend, correct?" He said, shuffling papers in front of him.

"Yes."

"And, you were facetiming Katherine whenever the incident happened?"

I nodded.

"Was she with anybody?"

I nodded again. "She was with a friend, her name was Kira."

He looked at me suspiciously, looking down at his papers.

He walked out the doors, gesturing me to wait. A few seconds later, another man walks in, this time not in uniform.

"I'm Detective Gray, how are you today?" He said, sitting down.

Before I could even open my mouth to respond, he begins another sentence.

"You say that there was another person with Katherine whenever you were on a call, right?"

I responded with a simple, "Mhm."

"Clear yes or no answers please."

"Yes sir. She was with her friend named Kira." I say, fiddling with my rings.

"There was nobody to be found anywhere whenever my police team searched her house. Just some shot glasses on her bedside table, and a trashed room."

Shot glasses?

"We don't think your friend was even accompanied by anybody else. The injuries look like they could be from herself simply just being too drunk and falling everywhere." He said, tempting me to go off, but I keep my calm.

"Sir, whenever I called her, she immediately showed a girl that she introduced as Kira, and then-"

"I don't think that happened, Ms. O'Connell" He sternly questioned.

"I told her I was coming home in two days, because I was doing press work in Philadelphia, she was in the middle of her sentence and the phone dropped. All I heard was the girl cussing at her, and then Katherine crying and screaming."

"Press work? Are you a businesswoman?"

"I'm a musician."

"Interesting. Go on."

"Then, the girl, Kira, picked up the phone, and showed her choking Katherine, then showed her own face, laughing." I started to tear up. "She then said that Katherine was all hers tonight."

"What did she look like?"

"Blonde hair, she was sitting down but she seemed pretty small. She had a black shirt on with what looked like red lips?" I say, as I continue describing the girl.

The police officer walked back in, handing the detective a cell phone, four double-shot glasses, and a bag full of what looked to be crushed up pills.

"Katherine Smith's cell phone, the shot glasses found in her room, and this bag full of non-tested or identifiable powder in her kitchen. Was next to three empty bottles of alcohol."

The police officer leaves, remaining only me and Detective Gray, once again.

Whenever he clicks the home button of her phone, the first thing that comes up on her phone was a picture of her and I kissing in my room. We took the picture sometime before we left for the airport. Before I left for Philly.

"So you two really are dating."

"Yeah."

~

I sat in the hospital room once again.

I was questioned for what feels like four hours in that dark room, only to be told that they'd see me later to talk again.

But, they said they were going to look through Katherine's camera roll since they have a warrant, and her father gave permission. If her and Kira took any pictures that day, they could identify her. Her dad was up here earlier, but it got too hard for him so he had to leave.

They were also going to swab test the shot glasses for saliva and test the bag to see what the substance was.

The machine beeping became custom to my ears, and I laid back my head, closing my eyes.

Until I heard a small groan, followed by a sweet, familiar voice that usually sounded joyful, but now sounded in pain and agony.

"Baby?"