Wattpad Original

Original Edition - Bonus Chapter 1

James

There was a reason why I decided not to drink alcohol at the wedding.

It's 1 a.m., the wedding's about to end, and Lara is still partying on the dance floor with three groomsmen. After all this time, I'd never thought she'd be the one with the largest alcohol tolerance out of all of us.

Mark taps me on the shoulder, and I turn back abruptly. He gestures to the others-Kiera, Carol, and Daniel-before saying, "They were just asking you about the new team that you're on. How do you like it?"

"Oh, um, it's really good. The people are great. I mean, there's this one guy who's kind of arrogant, but other than that, everything's fine."

Satisfied with my response, they nod, and I glance back at Lara.

I look at Daniel, who gives me a knowing smile. "After all these years, you still can't pay attention to us when she's around."

Kiera and Carol start to giggle, trying to hide it, but fail miserably.

Suddenly the room heats up.

"Guys, I'm totally paying attention to you. It's just, it's 1 a.m. and it's been a tiring 48 hours." I lie, and judging by their smiles, they see right through it.

"Okay then." Mark comments.

"But just out of curiosity, who are those guys with her?" I finally ask.

Kiera smiles. "They're friends of Jasmine's but Lara knows them too. She went to school with them."

"Heard they're hella smart too. You see the one with black hair?" Carol starts.

She points to a tall lanky guy, dancing like a limp noodle. I stare at him. He says something that sends Lara laughing like crazy.

It probably wasn't that funny. I mean, she's drunk.

"Well," she continues, "He did biomedical engineering at one of the most competitive programs in the country. Graduated with top honours."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"The guy with the red tie? He just scored a huge deal for graphic design. He's in charge of a Nike campaign."

I don't even reply. I only glare at the guy, whom Lara's eyeing like he's some sort of greek god.

Next, Carol points at the blonde one, probably only a few inches shorter than I am and muscular built. "That guy followed her all the way to Med school."

My jaw drops. "What do you mean follow? Carol, if he's stalking her, you guys gotta get the police involved. We don't have time to wait for something to-"

"Can you and your blue balls chill for 3 seconds?" Carol almost yells, before laughing.

I frown.

"Relax man. No, he's not a stalker, just a suitor. Now calm yourself."

I almost get lightheaded. This is way worse than a stalker.

I look back to find her gone.

She finally leaves the dancefloor, and I think she's on her way back to our table, when she curves right back to the bar.

I decide that she has probably had enough intoxication for one night and block her before she gets to the counter.

She looks up at me with bloodshot eyes.

"Mooooove," she whines, slapping my arm.

I almost laugh as she staggers around me. It just seems so ironic that the good girl reputation she held in high school vanishes completely when she sees a free bar.