Past is past (1)

"Aki!"

Aki thought for sure that he saw Zy skipped as he came over. He was surprised because he had not seen his friend for quite some time.

"It's really you! It's been so long!" Zy's smile lit his entire face.

"Yeah," Aki smiled. For a second there, Aki was afraid that his friend might glomp at him.

Zy was one of his oldest, if not the oldest friend he had. Yet Aki felt like he already forgot how he used to act around Zy before he realized his feelings. The curious glances of Zy and Mia to each other were added to the uneasiness he was feeling. "By the way, Mia this is Zy, my friend. Zy this is Mia, someone from work. By the way, where did you buy that ice cream?" That was a random thing to say and they all knew it but he wanted another thing to talk about.

"Is that why you were staring? I thought it was because you saw me! But nevermind that. Did you say work?" Zy asked.

"I work part-time at a cafe."

The way Zy's eyes sparkled made Aki want to regret ever opening his mouth. His wish to make this meeting short would be dashed. So he quickly added, "Are you meeting up with Drew? You should get going. We'll go back first."

Zy looked like an abandoned puppy with his mouth curved down. If it was before, Aki would do everything in his power to make it curve upwards again. But right now, he could not even summon the energy needed to attempt doing that. "We've just seen each other after a long while and you're tossing me now." He pouted.

Aki scratched the back of his head. If someone knows how to shake off Zy, he would beg that person to tell it to him at this moment. At the same time, he knew that he did not have the heart to just ditch his best friend like that.

"How about you come with us and meet there with your friend instead? We're about to back anyway." Mia chimed in.

Between gratefulness and annoyance, Aki had a hard time picking. Mia's well-meaning intention was like a double-edged sword -- something that saved the moment but also something that now subjected him to Zy's company. Aki settled in shooting a grateful glance at Mia in which she returned with a small smile. Zy would pester him some other time if they did not go now and Aki would have to accommodate him anyway. Why not do it now and get over it? Besides, what was there to be afraid of if he spent his time with his friend? Zy was his friend after all.

"So this is what's keeping you busy lately," Zy licked his spoon with gusto as he savored the taste of his parfait that was Aki's recommendation. His eyes roamed at the interior of Lava Java and Aki could tell that he liked the place.

"Well, a lot of things happened." Aki then proceeded to tell Zy about his scholarship, putting less emphasis on how partying affected his grades.

Zy crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back in his chair. "And you didn't tell us about it. You know that you are welcome to tell us about your problem. Drew and I will be there for you."

Aki smiled sheepishly. 'Wellllll, you were my problem so...'

A plate of pasta was delivered in front of them. Aki's attention was automatically shifted to the food. Even without having tasted it yet, Aki could tell how delicious it was based on the aroma wafting in the air. His order came but instead of just spaghetti and garlic bread, it also came in with crepe and iced tea. He glanced at the waiter.

"Mia said you haven't had lunch," Liam said as a matter-of-factly and continued his work.