Volume 02 Chapter 24

Little one.

During the praying time, she would always felt someone glaring at her but she ignored it as she already knew it's the Prince of Runyang's Little Miss Yu Fengxue.

When that little miss Yu was about to approached her, she would always barricaded by little loli and by the other women.

In the second day of the Ceremony, her little devil wrote to her saying that the relief mission was a success and he would be coming home in the last day of the Rain Ceremony. He wrote that he would fetch her personally so she should wait for him to come back.

After reading his letter, she felt warmth in her heart and look at her stomach.

"Little one, your father is coming home."

Shi Lingyan is curiously though.

What would her little devil's reaction if he knows that he'll be a father for the first time?

Imagining his expressionless face shift into shock and surprise, that experience would be marvel.

I can't wait!

Last day of the Ceremony, she was about to go to the praying hall and to lit some incense when a rushing servant girl walks inside her room.

"Madam Shi, something happened to the Princess Consort Jing!"

Her heart thump.

Little loli?

"What happened to her? Where is she?"

"Please follow me Madam."

After saying that, the servant girl urge her to follow.

"Young Madam."

Her new maidservant, Lu Ying, called her worriedly. She was a trusted maidservant given to her by little devil for attending her personal needs.

"Call some help and follow me after."

"But-"

"Hurry!"

Her maidservant can only reluctantly nodded while Shi Lingyan immediately followed the servant girl.

Soon after, she was lead into a secluded hall.

Because of panic, she didn't notice the abnormality of the situation.

They walk inside and went to a praying room. She can smell some sweet scent that made her dizzy but she brushed it off and look inside. She tried to find that beautiful little woman.

She can see praying mats, Buddha statues, praying tablets, and lightened incense but no little loli. As she was about to asked the maidservant, she was surprised when she heard the door closed shut.

She immediately tried to open it but found it locked. Sensing the danger, she shouted at the maidservant outside the door.

"Hey! Open this door! This isn't funny!"

She was about to shout again when suddenly, she felt that wave of dizziness again and blacked out.

In the darkness, Shi Lingyan heard some noise, a crackling sound. After a while she smelt smoke, something burning and a piercing heat brushes her skin.

She opens her eyes and eventually starts coughing when she breathed some smoke. Tears started streaming into her eyes and she became shocked when she saw the burning hall.

The tablets, mats and statues are burning, turning into ashes as the raging fire swept into them.

She tried to open the the door, in hope to escape from the burning inferno but dismayed when it's still locked. She tried to push the door with her body but it won't budge.

Her heart starts beating so fiercely as she tried calling some help.

"Help! Somebody! Help me!

She tried calling, again and again but there's no one.

Suddenly, she saw fire started to burn the door. Backing away and coughing fiercely, she's starting to lose some air.

Fear is creeping into her heart as she thought of being burned alive...

Guilt as she thought of her child, dying with her because of her carelessness...

And sadness as she thought of her little devil who'll be left behind when she's gone...

When she thought of those people she'll leave behind, a piercing pain started appearing in her soul.

When her consciousness is becoming blurry, she heard someone calling her name, desperately. She thought it's only a figment of her imagination, a wish to see her little devil again.

"-n-er! Yan-er! Shi Lingyan! Answer me!"

Hearing his voice in her dying time, a renewed strength had appeared in her, a will to call his name.

"Xia-nfe-eng! I-I'm here! Xianfen-!"

She cough fiercely after trying to call his name. Xianfeng's panicky voice was heard behind the half-burning door.

"Yan-er! Are you inside?! Answer me?!"

She answers him with a fierce coughing. Soon after, a banging sounds started to appear behind the close door. She heard him cursing between those sounds.

After a while, a sound of wood breaking was heard in her blurry consciousness. She opened her heavy eyes and saw Xianfeng's fear stricken face with a hint of madness in his eyes.

She tried to reach her hand out to his outstretched ones but eventually gave out when strength leaves her and her soul goes out from her dying body.

The red butterfly from her nape started to flutter away as the outstretched hands of the desperate man tries to catch it.

It finally stops when it's out of the reach. On top of the broken ceiling where the hole for the open sky is.

It stares to the desperate and hopeless face of the beautiful youth who's pleading for it to not leave him behind. But it flew away, ignoring the young man's pleas, going to the other world away from this blazing place.

Goodbye, Xianfeng.