A Life Lesson

Cause I could! Do I need another reason?

***********************************

The sun warmed Donovan's bare arms as he leaned against the Mercedes. It was the first day that seemed to promise summer and he was taking advantage of it wearing only a t-shirt and jeans. The rays fell over the sidewalk and the school grounds that lay beyond a set of open rod iron gates. Trailing out from behind and in front of his car was a stationary parade of vehicles.

When his phone buzzed, he pulled it out. The edge of his mouth lifted.

"Hi," he said, the greeting holding more weight than the single-syllable word would for others.

"Is she there?" Carter asked.

Smiling, Donovan slid one hand into his pocket. "Don't I get a hello?"

Carter sighed. "She's not there. I guess that leaves me with you."

"I have never felt more wanted."

"You know I miss my baby."

"I miss you too."

Carter burst out laughing and the sound filled the fissure in Donovan's chest. One that always opened when she went away.

"I have never once called you baby and plan to die never having done so," she said.

"As long as you don't plan on dying any time soon, then I'm okay with that."

"Promise." Donovan heard the rustling of blankets as Carter shifted. "When does she get out of school?"

Donovan glanced at his watch. "Any minute now."

"That must mean you're already waiting by the curb."

"Front and center."

"How are the Desperate House Wives?"

Donovan could hear the smirk in Carter's voice. Unable to stop himself, he gazed down the line of cars. Further down was a group of women that were divorced and had taken to single life like it was a challenge to prove they were still young. As if always in tune with his movements, the women looked over at him. Half of them waved while others offered inviting smiles. Donovan nodded once in acknowledgment then ducked his head, fighting back a smile.

"You shouldn't be so harsh, they are kind mothers."

Carter snorted. "Yes, the kind that see my absence as a competition. How many playdates have you been invited to?"

"For Kennedy," Donovan said.

"Naturally. And they had Casino Night not so they could see you in a tux."

Donovan couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips. "You sound jealous. Does that mean that next time you interact with them they should be prepared for an 'I belong to you and no one else, hands off' speech?"

"Yes, especially with all the bake sales, fundraisers and PTA meetings they roped you into."

"It's part of a parent's responsibility."

Donovan waited for the snapping retort but it never came. Instead, there was a silence that he knew all too well.

"Hey," he said. "You are doing what you love and I am proud of you. And so is Kennedy."

Carter let out a sigh. "I know...I should be home this Saturday if all goes well."

A distant voice spoke in the background and Donovan knew that their time was up.

"Donovan..."

"I know. I'll tell Kennedy you said hi and that you love her. Stay safe."

"I love you."